View Full Version : What would you do with a 4G PRT96 to make it better?

jeffreymcgrew
12-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Hey all. We're moving our shop, need more room, business is booming. While we're moving we'll have the Shopbot off-line for a while, and are planning some upgrades while it's down.

First off, we're going to make a stiffer table. Going to trade work with a metal-working friend to build us a killer metal table. Now, should I go with aluminum extrusions for the sides ala the PRS if I can afford it?

Second off, we're going to make some aluminum plates and braces to make the Z-axis stiffer and able to be adjusted a little easier.

Third, we're going to finally finish up the vacum hold-down table. We're going with the 'F16' design, slightly modified.

Forth, well, I'd love to hear more ideas actually. We don't have the money to just buy a new PRS, and actually for our level of production work the PRT with the 4G is perfect (so far). But I would like to get more consistent cuts, and make it easier to keep the machine square and true...

So other than better table (i.e. not wood), stiffer Z-axis, and vac table, what else has a lot of bang for the buck? Spindle? Better rails?

beacon14
12-18-2007, 11:19 PM
you said it - a spindle

robredick
12-20-2007, 02:46 AM
In January I am going to FINALLY change out the ole PC router to the spindle that I bought (what seems like) a lifetime ago. The thing that did it for me is Geared Motors. Let's just say "smooth as butter".

jeffreymcgrew
12-20-2007, 12:31 PM
OK, so it sounds like picking up a Spindle is a good way to go on top of what we're already doing. Great.

So with the rebuilding of our table: does anyone know a good place to order aluminum extrusions like the ones that are used on the new PRS? I'm pricing out table designs, and really like the benefits of the aluminum extrusions but need to get some numbers for cost...

Brady Watson
12-20-2007, 02:40 PM
http://8020.net/ is a good place to start.

-B

richards
12-21-2007, 03:57 PM
I think that Shopbot uses Bosch aluminum extrusions. Their website is: www.boschrexroth-us.com (http://www.boschrexroth-us.com)

Personally, I've used quite a bit of 8020 extrusions for various projects and have found it to be excellent quality and easy to use - but a little pricey.

Brady Watson
12-21-2007, 04:30 PM
I mentioned 8020 for a couple reasons...1) You can get all the info you need, including pricing, online. 2) You can buy just one piece 3) It is MUCH cheaper than the Bosch extrusions in the quantities you would want. 4) Bosch is not particularly helpful to those who want to purchase small quantities, unless you can find a knowledgable reseller that is sympathetic to small orders...

-B

Gary Campbell
12-21-2007, 05:16 PM
If you are looking for short pieces. 8020 has an eBay site that they sell their cutoffs and scratch and dent. They arent much less per ft. than they can be purchased thru our local retailer here in FL, but sometimes you just need short pieces.
Gary

jeffreymcgrew
12-22-2007, 01:07 PM
The 80/20 stuff looks great. I like how they made it easy to design with too, with 3D cad models of everything ready-to-go. Now I just got to figure out what sticks would work well for the side-plates. I've got access to a huge water-jet cutter to make braces and such from plate, too, so I guess I need to get cracking in Alibre on a new table design.

I also found a site via CNCzone that sells overstock aluminum extrusions. They don't have what I need for the siderails, but they have a ton of other shapes and sizes: http://www.automation-overstock.com/products.asp?cat=66

br928
12-22-2007, 09:22 PM
I just finished a plasma table I built from Faztek aluminum extrusions. (faztek.net) Seems like they have the same sizes that 80/20 sells. Their web site in not as fancy as 80/20s. I bought mine precut through Motion Industries. I used 3"x3" heavy wall extrusions. They also have a 3"x6" size. I still am not convinced that the aluminum is better than a heavy steel C rail for a router application. The added mass of the steel is better at dampening vibrations and less prone to flex without proper design.