PDA

View Full Version : Glass scoring with a shopbot

Curt Bartel
02-25-2001, 03:20 PM
Has anyone tried to score or cut glass with the Shopbot? I am going to make some oval picture frames with the Shopbot and need to cut an oval piece of glass to fit the frame. Are there any glass scoring tools out there that cut with a point instead of the typical handheld roller wheel type cutters and if there is where can I get one? I am sure that there is a way to either mount it in the router or maybe just on the side of the router carrier, or is there a router bit cutter (like for a dremel) that needs to spin to cut or score the glass?

dave
02-26-2001, 04:25 PM
Curt
I've used a 1/8" glass and tile drill bit to cut into ceramic tile. Never tried it on glass. I had to make a holder with rubber cushions to hold the tile. I was using a vertical mill at the time. Watch out for the dust and possible breakage.

Dave

rgengrave@aol.com
02-27-2001, 12:40 AM
If i remember right there was a post about cutting glass on the forum? I think the guy made a swivel plate that mounted the the router,he did not use a router bit but a glass cutter.

You might be able to make up a jig for this?

I know a shopbotter that is working on a swivel knife for the shopbot, if it works we will be able to do vinyl

Ron

orb@twcny.rr.com
07-19-2001, 12:57 PM
I used to work in a place that cut glass with a CNC mill as well as an overhead gantry CNC machine (like a Shopbot).

First off, if you want to actually cut the glass, you will need to get a diamond impregnated bronze milling bit. They come in different diamond sizes based on the finish/cutting speed you are looking for. You also will need to flood the glass with coolant of some nature while cutting, submerged is best. You'll also have to keep the coolant out of your router, which might be a real trick.

Scoring is a little simpler. You will need a spring loaded glass cutting head that you can adjust the tension on. An air cylinder works even better as you can adjust the force with a regulator. The cutting wheel needs to be slightly off-center so that when the cutter begins it's travel, it will automatically spin the wheel to follow the motion. Otherwise it'll drag and not cut. Your cutting paths will also have to be compensated for this initial movement before actually cutting your shapes. Less than 1/4" is usually sufficient for it to orient itself properly.

My guess is that these can be purchase and would have to be mounted on another assembly, rather than in the router. Not gonna be cheap though.

RandyT

E. F. Pionkowski
07-20-2001, 09:45 AM
If you only want to score the glass and then break out the oval by tapping the back side of the glass with a small ball peen hammer to start the cracking, a diamond glass cutter should work fine and not break the bank with tooling costs.

sheldon@dingwallguitars.com
07-20-2001, 12:02 PM
If you go to http://www.usarobot.com/

In the "at work" gallery there is a really poor photo of a maxym setup with a glass scoring attachment