PDA

View Full Version : Sealing sign making foam?

b1705@bellatlantic.net
03-30-1999, 10:27 AM
I've been sent some samples of sign making foam board, and I'm wondering what to use when I seal them after doing my cutting. Any suggestions?

-rgbrown@itexas.net
03-30-1999, 01:38 PM
Bill,

The urathane foams may have a special sealer. I have used diluted 'yellow carpenter's glue' on many projects over the years to seal and prepare poly styerene for painting.

Ron B -rgbrown@itexas.net (mailto:-rgbrown@itexas.net)

arthur_ross
03-30-1999, 02:17 PM
Bill-

If I recall correctly, you're in the South Joisey area (that's Southern New Jersey for you cultured types). A company called Harbor Sales (*not* Harbor Freight)in Sudersville, MD sells all sorts of Sign Making materials, and best of all, they will cut the big stuff for a small fee and deliver (believe me, you've never seen clingy nasty dust until you cut a 4 by 8 sheet of Sign Foam into 1 by 1 foot squares). The high density foam material they sell is called Precision Board, and comes in all sizes. Their number is 800-345-1712, ask for a catalog, and they used to have a free 2 by 4 foot poster with little sample chunks of all the materials they sold. Cool! They also sell a Filling/Smoothing compound (#FSC-8) for the Precision Board.

This stuff is THE BEST for making carved signs, and the main material the Signs On Tap router was designed for.

Happy dust making!

Arthur Ross
Deltamation Inc./www.signsontap.com

llarson@softdisk.com
03-30-1999, 02:18 PM
Check out this web site for how to's of high density urethane. http://www.precisionboard.com/howtos.htm

ET
03-31-1999, 01:17 AM
Isn't the board you are talking about rather expensive? We are making a durable, however short- life span product and have found "blue board" or construction styrofoam is both cost effective and can with stand some pretty rough handling, certainly not as dense as the "signboard" but about 1/8th the cost, unless you know a good place to buy the signboard. What are you paying per 4x8 sheet?.

arthur_ross
03-31-1999, 04:53 AM
Precision Board is about $150 for a 4 by 8 by 3/4 sheet, which is a little high for hobby use, but cheap for a professional sign maker compared to the labor, paint, gold leaf, added vinyl, etc. *Recommended* industry pricing is about $100 per square foot for a carved sign. The construction foam is just not heavy enough for corporate signage, except for certain indoor uses. And I'm not sure, but I think it does not react well to some of the standard paints and adhesives. It also makes a huge mess when being routed, even with vacuum pickup.

Arthur Ross
Deltamation Inc./www.signsontap.com

cmrtom
10-29-2000, 08:27 AM
The blue insulation board can be used with good results if it is sealed properly. I use epoxy resin. A couple of coats will make it last a long time. Do not use polyester resin as the styrene will EAT the foam.. you can get smal quantities of epoxy from Wicks Aircraft supply in Highland Illinois.

billp
10-29-2000, 01:42 PM
For those of you using epoxy, I'd like to add my vote for MAS brands as the easiest, cleanest, epoxy I have dealt with in almost 25 years of boatbuilding. As with most epoxies you can clean up residue with white vinegar ( which is a mild acid..), but unlike other brands you can RE-USE brushes, syringes, etc after a vinegar cleanup..There are almost NO VOC's in MAS, and it is as close to a 'green"epoxy as currently made. It also sands much easier, and works great for sealing letters/carvings before painting, leafing, etc.Their web address is; http://www.masepoxies.com

joa
10-29-2000, 08:32 PM
Just for giggles I'll add my .02 to Bill's notes. Yaa, I really like MAS as well. Only thing I'd add is to use gloves and it is recommended to *not* clean up your skin with vinegar since that my cause absorption (instead be sure to use latex gloves and if you do get epoxy on you use soap and water and a soft bristled brush.)

I'm coming from the homebuilt aircraft side of things but it holds true for whatever use.

Joa

bill.young
10-30-2000, 08:57 AM
I'll add another $.02. I've been working with epoxy for 20-some years, and in the beginning didn't wear gloves or pay much attention to getting it on me. In the last couple of years I've become sensitized to it and now have to limit my exposure. MAS epoxy is better than the others, but my understanding is that they'll all get to you eventually if you're careless.

Bill

ROOKIE432@AOL.COM
06-07-2001, 12:34 AM
HI FOLKS,

JUST THOUGHT SUBMIT SOME INFO ON SIGNFOAM AND PRECISIONBOARD AND BLU BOARD. I JUST RECIEVED MY SHOPBOT AND HOPE(AFTER MY VECTOR TRAINING CLASS IN TWO WEEKS) I'LL BE UP AND RUNNING SOON.
a WARNING ABOUT bLUE BOARD!! BE CARFUL. MAKE SURE YOU ARE WELL VENTILATED AND WEARING SOME KIND OF RESPIRATION. SOME CONSTRUCTION BLUEBOARDS ARE MADE WITH SOME PRETTY NASTY CHEMICALS (I.E. FORMALDAHYDE (HOPE I SPELLED THAT RIGHT) AND YOU DONT WANT TO GET THAT STUFF IN YOUR LUNGS YIIKES!!
ALSO AS FAR AS SEALING SIGNFOAM: PRECOATING WITH A STANDARD PRIMER WORKS FINE HOWEVER THERE IS A GREAT PRODUCT OUT THERE FOR FINISH SEALING CALLED PELUCID. IT CAN BE SPRAYED ON IN A THIN FINISH AND ENCASES ANYTHING YOU MAKE FOR EXTERIOR USE. AWESOME STUFF. cHECK OUT THIS SITE . THIS GUY HAND CARVES SIGNFOAM AND IS A PELUCID DISTRIBUTOR.

WWW.STMARIEGRAPHICS.COM

GOOD LUCK
BILL

exbh@aol.com
04-27-2004, 08:02 PM
I am making a Church sign with Stone columns on each side, large crown Molding coming to a peak in the middle and a carved sign below. What or where can someone suggest I buy the moldings so they don't shrink and the joints don't open up like a clam? Precision Board Kinda Product

debekker
04-27-2004, 08:51 PM
http://www.industrialpolymers.com/styrospray.html

try this link for some great resin for coating your blue foam out you can get it in brush or spray. But unless you have a little experience spraying resins I would recommend buying the brush on type. For exterior Longevity I would Highly recommend using SignFoam and the FS8 Primer or EXTRIA Brand MDF This stuff is great But heavy as all Heck

rookie432
04-27-2004, 09:15 PM
Amen Bill,

Just loaded a 4x8x1" sheet of EXTIRA on the bot and had to pick my berries up off the floor afterward.

debekker
04-28-2004, 07:36 PM
Bill J Wait till your try the 2 Inch. Your Kids will be born with hernias

classicsignsltd@btinternet.com
01-10-2005, 10:23 AM
We are a UK company looking for a distributer
in the UK for sign foam. We will be carving/routing and gilding.
Can any body help

btk
08-03-2005, 09:43 AM
Does anyone know of a supplier of HDPE and/or PVC Sheets (preferably in the NYC Metro Area)?

Thanks,
Brian

billp
08-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Brian,
Try McMaster-Carr ( www.mcmaster.com (http://www.mcmaster.com) )You need to dig through their main menu for "plastics"... They have both, and will sometimes deliver SAME DAY if you call by 11AM.....

btk
08-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Bill, Thanks for the pointer, very helpful.

Brian