PDA

View Full Version : Fine bits for small letters

joa
10-24-2000, 10:03 PM
Where are you all buying really small bits for engraving lettering in plastic and brass? The ones I saw at a sign shop were very pointy and ground flat on one half. They were super long though and wouldn't fit in a router. Any shorter ones available on the web (I already checked a couple places to no avail.)

Thanks!

Joa
PIW E&M

chamcook
10-25-2000, 04:29 PM
Check out the VCarvz forum Oct 25 for a similar question and answer.It is at www.vectorcam.com/cgi-bin/vcarvzbbs/index.cgi

edcoleman
10-25-2000, 08:37 PM
Joa:

I've gotten some engraving bits from a company called "Bits & Bits"

Their web page is:

http://www.signtools.com

Another good site is:

www.thinktink.com

Hope this is some help.

-Ed

Curt Bartel
02-08-2001, 09:49 PM
I am asking for help from the shopbot experts. Are there any router bits out there that will do fine engraving in wood. I have a CMT router catalog and they have a 60 degree laser point bit with a 1/4" shank. Does somebody make a v-groove router bit with even more of an angle? I want to cut deeper in the wood without the cut getting to wide. The problem I have is that to sand the burrs out of the pine I am almost bottoming out on the letters, which pretty much works like an eraser. Thanks in advance.

rgengrave@aol.com
02-09-2001, 01:00 AM
I get my small bits from Eagle America

1-800-872-2511

Call then and get there Catalog.

I get 1/16 and 1/8 bits from 45-60-90 degree, just be sure you only set your speed to .25 when using the 1/16, you will break then if you cut to fast.

Ron

billp
02-09-2001, 08:05 AM
Curt, you didn't mention how deep you are actually cutting these letters, but when I have to do very fine line work I chuck a 1/8" collet reducer into my router, and use a carbide Dremel engraving bit ( #9999 I believe). You can go to their web page for specifics. Extremely sharp tip, very small, and will stand up to cutting very well.Runs about 10 bucks at the local hobby shop,or Dremel will ship direct to you.Bill P.

anderboat@aol.com
02-09-2001, 11:06 AM
I am carving model ship hulls in Poplar at 100ipm up to .75 depth with a three flute spiral 3/8 ball end mill made by Robb Jack Corp. I also use a 1/4 of the same for smaller projects, but reduce to .85ipm .50 depth. Wood surface and edges are very clean. Purchased from Airgas Direcrt Industrial Rutland Tool Division, Whittier, California.