PDA

View Full Version : Ascension connectons to PR motors

waynec
10-11-2007, 12:49 AM
I'm ready to connect my upgraded PR to my Ascension controller. I've tried to contact Custom-CNC, but haven't gotten a response yet. I'm hoping someone here can help me get up and running.

I need instructions on how to connect six wire Shopbot PR motors to the 4 wire Ascension outputs.

I also have a Tormach 4 wire motor on my Z axis that I want to connect to my Ascension.

The documentation on the Ascension is not comprehensive, and doesn't show any pinouts for the connections.

Thanks for help as always.

Wayne C

tommyr
10-11-2007, 07:07 AM
Hello Wayne,

Been a while since I did my conversion and since have upgraded to new bi-polar motors.

But I found a left over Shopbot Oriental Motor(PK266-02A) from my old Z-axis.

I only used the blue, black, pink and blue wires.
The yellow and white are not used, these if my memory serves me where the taps.

Hopefully you have the same wire color scheme.
I will look (later) for any documentation that I received from Alan when I was doing my upgrade.

I see the both Ascension site and forum are down.
Has Alan has closed the business?

Call me if you need help.

Tom
856-520-0247 Cell

richards
10-11-2007, 07:39 AM
Wayne,
There are two methods commonly used to connect stepper motors to Gecko stepper drivers: Series (Bipolar/full coil) and Half-Coil.

For the Series/Bipolar wiring connection, connect the Black wire to Terminal #3 (Coil A), connect the Green wire to Terminal #4 (Coil /A), connect the Red wire to Terminal #5 (Coil B), and connect the Blue wire to Terminal #6 (Coil /B). Tape off or put a wire nut on the Yellow wire and on the White wire. DO NOT let the Yellow wire and White wire touch each other. Be sure that they are individually insulated from each other.

For the half-coil wiring connection, connect the Black wire to Terminal #3 (Coil A), connect the Yellow wire to Terminal #4 (Coil /A), connect the Red wire to Terminal #5 (Coil B), and connect the White wire to Terminal #6 (Coil /B). Tape off or put a wire nut on the Blue wire and on the Green wire. DO NOT let the Blue wire and Green wire touch each other. Be sure that they are individually insulated from each other.

If a motor turns the wrong direction - for instance the 2nd X-axis motor - exchange the wires on Terminal #5 and Terminal #6.

Be sure to connect a current limiting resistor between Terminal #11 and Terminal #12. The formula to find the value of the current limiting resistor in K ohms is: 47 * I / (7 – I) where I represents the motor's current rating. For instance a 1A motor would use an 8.2K 1/4W resistor, which is the closest standard resistor to 7.8K. A 2A motor would use an 18K 1/4W resistor, which is the closest standard resistor to 18.8K.

waynec
10-11-2007, 09:29 PM
I have it connected now, thanks to Alan at Custom. But I'm having some problems that I'm hoping someone here can help me with.

I'm using the Ascenion box, Mach 3 setup per the Custom CNC instructions, and Shopbot motors. I get motion on the X axis, but not on Y or Z axis.

I swapped plugs at the back of the box and found that the Y axis and Z axis work with output from the Ascension X axis plug. That should mean that both the motors and cables for Y and Z are connected correctly.

So I'm now thinking that my problem with the Y and Z axis is either related to the Mach 3 software, or to the Ascension box.

Anyone here with an Ascension control box have any suggestions?

Wayne from White Salmon

cnc_works
10-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Get into the box and swap drivers, Wayne. Just in the off chance you have two blown Geckos. Also, make sure you have the latest connector blocks...unfortunately, I don't remember if the later blocks are black or blue, but there were problems with the early ones. A good time to check if all connections are good whichever blocks you have. You might be able to do a search on the Gecko forum and find which is which.

I have a plain PRT, but you are welcome to call tomorrow for ports & pin comparison if it would help. Also, I think I have the old connection blocks in a drawer, so I would be able to tell you black or blue. Email me for phone #.

By the way, I keep meaning to make a day trip up the Gorge from Portland and visit.

Donn

Brady Watson
10-12-2007, 12:48 AM
The later/newer terminal blocks are black.

-B

tommyr
10-13-2007, 08:03 AM
Wayne,

Save yourself a lot of trouble if you have the gray terminal blocks they do not seat properly to the back of the box.

I had to cut a portion of the plastic to connect properly, drove me crazy with intermittent motors problems before i caught it.

Since then everything has worked like a charm.

Tom

waynec
10-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Well I'm not sure what I did, but its working now. I just went thru the setup instructions again, and reset the plugs to be sure I was getting good connections. (Thanks Thomas- I have the grey plugs, and they seem to set OK).

Now to chase some mechanical issues and try to get things dialed in.

THanks all!

Wayne from White Salmon

waynec
10-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Wow! Now that the new Ascension box is hooked up and working, I set the jog speed at 5 inches, and it rips right down the X and Y axis no problems. When I try to go up to 8 IPS I get some chatter from the X axis and it skips some steps. But I think I can fix this with better motor blocks. I was running my PR at 3 IPS jog and 1.7 ips cut speeds on the Shopbot PR controller.

Calibration was easy with the Mach 3 manual. The new gantry and rails seem to travel fine. I have a problem with my Z axis motor, a larger Tormach stepper that has very low power. Even my smaller Shopbot PR Z motor has more power than this Tormach. Either I have it connected wrong, or its damaged.

Tomorrow I'll install limit switches and fabricate some new motor blocks. Maybe I'll get to figure out a way to install the dust collector foot. And try to run a file.

Its still a Shopbot at heart.

Wayne from White Salmon