PDA

View Full Version : Cutting irregular shapes

Dave D
07-18-2003, 05:21 PM
Does anyone know how I could create a cutting file for a gingerbread house with irregular lines like in a cartoon. Would it be better to try and scan a drawing to get an uneven appearance(bumpy)?
Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Dave D

bjwat@comcast.net
07-18-2003, 06:41 PM
Why not drink a lot of coffee and then vector trace the gingerbread sketches....Seriously, why not intentionally wiggle the mouse while tracing it?

-Brady

rgbrown@itexas.net
07-18-2003, 06:50 PM
David,

There are a multitude of ways to proceed.

Scan with a "Raster to Vector" program.
Draw with CAD, make three or four parts for the repetious stuff and make that random.

Scan into CAD, trace by hand.

We still dont know if this is to be a "3D" object, a "Clip Art" 2D thing or a constructed model. This will also make a difference on how I would proceed.

Ron

Dave D
07-18-2003, 07:31 PM
It will be 2d with multi pockets for doors and windows but it has to have that cartoon look from straight on. The house will be hung on a wall like a plaque.

Many thanks
Dave D

rgbrown@itexas.net
07-18-2003, 11:07 PM
Dave,

A Raster to Vector program or over-tracing will work for this project.

Ron

Dave D
07-19-2003, 12:48 PM
Thanks Brady and Ron

I used Corel trace and it came out great after a little clean up. I have Vector but I find it hard to select outlines surrounded by other outlines to do pockets within pockets any suggestions as to any other programs without selling the farm $$$ ? Should I invest in PartWizard?

Dave

rgbrown@itexas.net
07-19-2003, 03:55 PM
Dave,

I will sometimes import layers form my CAD program into Vector if the geomerty gets "confused".

One of these daze I'm going to be somewhere where I can play with PartGizzard and see if it is any better than VECTOR, even if just for certain pieces.

Ron

srwtlc
07-21-2003, 12:10 AM
Dave,

If you have CorelTrace you must have CorelDraw. I scan into CorelDraw and use the 'Bezier' tool to trace over the scan by placing as few nodes as needed, then tweak the outline by tweaking each node until I get what I want. I then copy and paste special 'metafile geometry' into Vector. From there on pocketing and cutting out is relatively easy.

Scott