View Full Version : Collet regrind - anybody tried it?.

rhfurniture
01-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Hi,
I have a shopbot with a Bosch routerhead with which I am very pleased. Unfortunately they only make imperial size collets (1/4, 3/8 or 1/2) for it, and as I use 8mm spirals (in UK 3/8 spirals are stupidly expensive and rare) I am considering letting a local precision grinding company loose on a used 1/4" insert.
Has anyone tried it - am I wasting my time? I expect the cost to be more than a new one, so it wouldn't really be an economic use of worn parts.
Any suggestions as to what I need to look for, or how to test it when done would be most useful.

Actually I would appreciate any suggestion as to how to measure collet wear.

R.

paul_a
01-12-2005, 05:10 PM
Hi R

You can get 8mm collets for Bosch routers
from www.trendmachinery.co.uk/collets (http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/collets).

Paul

rhfurniture
01-13-2005, 01:53 AM
Yep, but if you look at the catalogue, the collet is type 5, illustrated as a sleeve. I've also talked to Bosch UK. It is a USA machine, not specifically for the European market. I feel nervous using sleeves, so does Trend...

R.

paul_a
01-13-2005, 03:46 AM
Ralph

Which model Bosch router do you have

Paul

dingwall
01-13-2005, 09:01 AM
If the sleave is well made it should be OK. We use one a lot. The only problem we find is that when loosening the collet, the bit will slip out of the sleave. It's best to have a padded tray underneath to catch the bit.

rhfurniture
01-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Amos, it is a 1617EVS. It may be that it uses the same inserts as a European model, but the Bosch wallers were not forthcoming on that query.
Sheldon. Yes, that is what I do at the moment. I havn't had a serious problem with it and Bosch collets work very well with little or no slippage. It is just that they have such a bad reputation that I would like to avoid them if possible.

R.

paul_a
01-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Ralph

I often use the Trend collet extension (part No. CE/127127 and CE/CNS/8) but try Axminster tools as they have one at £19.95, I am not sure if they do a 8mm collet that fits it.

You can use these with cutters up to 50mm dia.

Paul