PDA

View Full Version : Help with sign routing

pete
01-21-2005, 02:40 PM
I want to route a 8.5" x 5.5" oval plaque with the words "BUILD IN 1890" on three lines. The oval will have a raised outside border of about 3/16 or 1/4 deep and about that width. Questions: How would I hog out the oval (to get the raised border). Otherwise, how do I define the area inside the border to hog out. Also, can I have the text raised (in the center of the oval) as well as the border (text would be about the same height as the border) - otherwise hog out around the text. I would be using a 1/4" end mill. Other option would be to V-carve the text after I hog out the oval - the text would not be raised. Thanks for any advice. Pete

rookie432
01-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Pete,
All of that is possible, but in order to get a raised border you will have to hog out the center. Now your only choice is for raised letter you hog outeverything but the letters and border. For vee carved letters hog out the center then reset zero to your new surface and vee carve the letter. I think the vee carve looks nicer in this type of sign by the way.

Bill

pete
01-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Bill, thanks for the reply. Well, being a newbee - I have more questions please. I am not quite sure how to tell PW2 not to hog out the border along with the rest of the oval - do I just define my start position as inside the border - seems like there should be a way to identify the portion within the border as hog heaven in the the PW2 drawing. If I went with raised letters - probably won't as I agree that vee carved letters look better - but how would one isolate the raised letters to prevent them being hogged away. And, then, after I route the sign I would want to cut the outside of the oval away from the bulk material - would I again define a new start position to cut away the oval or can I do this within the drawing as well. Thanks, Pete

paco
01-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Assuming that you use PW 2...
You could V carved the text starting at a specific depth too; form your example, starting at the depth of the hog out (0.188-0.25")... look at the start depth spec. in the fill-in toolpath sheet... watch the max. depth of the V carving depending on your blank thickness thought...
Here's what it could look like...

pete
01-21-2005, 05:13 PM
Paco, that is the idea - I am just too new to know all the mechanics of how to do it - yet, But I have been practicing with other signs and reading the manuals - It is hard to beat having a mentor to help someone learn a new concept and acquire new skills - from then on it is OJT and practice. Thanks, Pete

Brady Watson
01-21-2005, 11:19 PM
You bet Peter...You will learn in quantum leaps by visiting a veteran botter's shop. I wouldn't be able to take on what I do if it wasn't for friendly 'neighbors'.

-Brady