PDA

View Full Version : Cutting raised letters - reverse V-carve

phil_o
05-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Has anyone tried this? I plan to but I haven't yet. It occured to me that if I reverse the cut file for V-carving I should get 3-d raised letters. I plan to edit the .sbp file by changing all of the Z axis cuts from negative to positive and reversing the cut file, that is the cuts that would be cut last for V-carving would be cut first for raised lettering and the first cuts for V-carving would be cut last for raised lettering.

joe
05-14-2004, 11:29 PM
P.

I have tried various methods to get a true beveled serif letter using ArtCam Insignia with poor results. After hours & hours, talking to ArtCam, talking to SB Technical, and B. Pulumbo, I haven't found a good solution.

Block letters can be done with ease. Thick and thin scripts or Roman letters are a different animal.

You can get a beveled letter by reversing the V carve portion of ArtCam, but the end result is a fat rounded area on the serifs.

I am so dissapointed with my purchse of ArtCam it is hard explain. This program does a good job in many ways, however beveled letters is not one of them.

ArtCam technical finally admitted their program will not accomplish sharp corners on the interior of letters. I spend hours before I got the confession.

Good luck and let all of us know how you come along.

j

K. Simmerer (Unregistered Guest)
05-17-2004, 09:55 PM
I am not familiar with Insignia, and I don't get why ArtCam, and SB Tech can't help you unless I don't understand the problem? To do raised prismatic should be fairly simple with or without Insignia. If you can toolpath a V-carved object/objects note the max. depth of cut. Using the same indicated cutter, machine along vector to at least the indicated depth or deeper. Then area clear at the same depth up to the vector and viola, raised prismatic. This will work up the your max depth for your cutter, but I saw John Forney had a pretty "scary large" looking one that could probably yeild a fairly large letter. I think I can feel the breeze from Columbus when he fires it up! If you ask him, I am sure he would share where he got it from.

I hope I'm understanding your question.
Keith

joe
05-23-2004, 11:07 AM
K.

Please allow me to explain the problem.

With a thick and thin letter such a Times Bold, and if you set the bevel for the thinnest area, there is precious little bevel on the broader storkes of that letter. If you set the bevel for the thicker area, know to sign artist as the down stroke, it will grind off all serifs.

There are several other problems as well.

Just try one and see.

J