PDA

View Full Version : Assistance request

ducsy
11-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Hello,

I have been a proud owner of a shopbot for close to 2 years now and for the little time I actually had to dedicate in learning and using it I am very happy with it.

I own a PTR96 with twin Z-axis with Vector 9.3. All it has been used for is mostly 2D cut-through and a bit of sign work for address plaques and personalized mailboxes for friends and family.

This time I still have a family oriented project but this time I can't handle it on my own. I have to complete the parts for a guitar as soon as possible in order for them to be put together by a friend and given as a christmas present. It will be a sentimental piece for the person recieving it. Even the wood used has very special memories for him.

But where to start ?!? I got the basic shape of the body off a beat up old guitar and I am having the neck drawn in 3D on autocad by a designer. I can handle anything 2D so I am not worried about the body of the guitar. But I don't have a clue about how to go from an autocad 3D drawing to a fully completed neck. That includes not knowing which software would be better to create the CAM, which cutter I should use, how to hold down the piece, etc !

I am hoping at this point that someone reading this forum could help at least in understanding the steps involved and the appropriate tooling to use, how to convert my drawing in a finished piece.

I live near Montreal, Quebec. I am willing to travel a reasonable distance in order to get things done.

If anybody out there has the knowledge and time it would be greatly appreciated.

Regard,
Sylvain Duchesne
sduchesne@webqc.net (mailto:sduchesne@webqc.net)

Brady Watson
11-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Sylvain,
You didn't say whether it was an acoustic guitar or electric guitar. In the case of the acoustic, you typically cut both halves of the body, and then fit a scarfed (saw relieved) srtip around the circumference. Typically a torch is used to heat up a pipe that is used to hand bend the strip to meet the contour of the guitar body.

In the case of an electric guitar, this is where you can create the body with either 2D moves and a variety of bits (to get chamfered edges) or do it in 3D to create the contoured surface. It all depends on what you want your finished design to look like. I'd be happy to help you with either if you need help.

Take a look at Grizzly (http://www.grizzly.com) if you haven't already. They stock both electric and acoustic guitar kits, books on guitar making and parts for making guitars. You can see some of the kits online and get a good idea how it all should come together. You can also search the net and see how others are making guitars.

-Brady

paco
11-20-2004, 04:14 PM
Have you been doing some 3D before Sylvain? If not... give me a call (450-532-4700; buisness, 450-532-2957;home. I speak mainly french frog!!) and we could arrange to meet... you'll be welcome! And/or keep searching/posting this forum and you'll sure find ways and tips! The 3D toolpath will sure be with a ball-end tool bit and may need some sanding for finishing... and to machine every side, you'll need some "indexing"...

ducsy
11-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Brady, I went to the website, saw the kits, they look good but I want something more personalized.

Paco, I will be taking you up on your offer soon

Thanks to both of you.

paco
11-23-2004, 10:25 AM
About our last evenning talk Sylvain; again since your project seem to be a one shot, maybe the part would be faster done by hand but you said you want to introduce yourself to 3D so I think that pretty much only the "back" of the neck would be done with a 3D strategie (that's what I think...) using a ball-end tool bit (I suggest 52-200BL serie from Onsrud which are desigh to 3D carving and have a long reach). The rest would be done with 2D strategie using "indexing/referencing" to make 'em fit thogeter (the SBP files); the top... and the sides to cut the angle of the neck's strings key's part with a quite long reach cutter... I further suggest you test all this first in insulating foams (hope you'll find thick enought for your needs) since it's cheap and less "risky" for your new tooling bits (52-200BL are about 35$-95$ ca depending on size...) than hard woods...
As said last evenning too; I don't think you needed expen$ive CAM software for your project... if your interest, we could arrange with a contact for him to prepared you a SBP file from your CAD file and your needs... this should'nt be very expensive since there would be about only the neck's backing...
Don't be shy and call back for further questions if needed... I'll be glad to help!

mikejohn
11-23-2004, 11:27 AM
Paco
I am interested in ball-end tools, but when I check 52-200BL I get spiral upcut.
Is the number correct?
.....Mike

paco
11-23-2004, 12:17 PM
YES! Thoses 52-200BL serie are 2 edges spiral up ball-end solid carbide long reach tool bit; they are quite effective in MANY materials... they start at 1/8" to 1/2" CED and there are the 52-200B serie that are standard lenght size of the same design... probably less expensive! I think there is a 3 edges too but starting at a bigger CED size... YES! It's 81-600 serie starting at 1/4" including standard lenght AND extended too... There are other designs available but thoses are the ones I prefer. You can (freely I believe?!) get any catalog of tool bit form Onsrud both from mail and PDF format at their WWW site...

gerald_d
11-23-2004, 12:55 PM
Our source of good CNC bits is http://www.belin-y.com in France. Their website is problematic, but we have printed catalogs and their quotations and deliveries are efficient. Mike, I understand they have stockists in the UK, and I might order from there soon because I have family coming out for the Xmas visit.

normand
03-13-2005, 08:52 AM
Guitar repair link , lot of jigs for cnc http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html