PDA

View Full Version : Indexable Carbide insert bits

mcw
02-11-2002, 09:08 PM
Has anybody tried the bits like Amana makes that have indexable carbide inserts on their bot? Just wondering how they would work compared to having bits sharpened all the time. I have a Holzher edgebander that uses them on the top & bottom trimmers and they work great and are easy to change.

TIA

beacon14
02-13-2002, 12:47 AM
I've used a small flush trim bit for laminate trimming, and have had a problem with the cutters fracturing & breaking. I hope the larger insert bits would be less prone to this. I think the technical term for the pieces that fly away from the router at full speed is "shrapnel"

Wdyasq@yahoo.com
02-13-2002, 08:04 AM
I've been wanting someone else to try this first but.........

http://www.hersaf.com/ Has a line of bits that screw on to an arbor. Arbors are available in 1/4" and 1/2" shanks in several lengths.

If my thinking is correct, one could buy a 'set-up' of the bits and have variables written the cutting file. Only the arbor would be indexed and as long as the "Z" wasn't corrupted, there would be no need to 'zero-Z' in the middle of a part.

Ron Brown - wdyasq@yahoo.com (mailto:wdyasq@yahoo.com)

If Stupidity got us into this mess,
then why can't it get us out? - Will Rogers

sheldon@dingwallguitars.com
02-13-2002, 10:47 AM
I regularly use a Dimar flush trim bit on a pin router and router table and a Gladu 4" dia insert molder head on a shaper.

I really like the consistant diameter you get with insert bits. Dimar claims that insert bits are made to tighter tollerances than brase on carbide bits.

The only short coming I find is that they don't clear chips as well so medium and high feed rates cause chips to be pounded into the work.

Also, to my knowledge, they aren't available in spiral or shear.

mcw
02-15-2002, 12:33 AM
Well I decided to try Amanas RC-3200 CNC carbide insert bit. It is a 1/2"shank, 1/2" 2 flute straight bit. The inserts are about $6 for a pack of 10, and they are double sided, so if it works well, it is a lot cheaper in the long run that sharpening plus the dia. will never change. I will let you guys know how it work on 3/4" melamine.

warnerte@navair.navy.mil
11-22-2002, 04:29 PM
I have the indexed super dado bits that I have used much. The super dado bit is an improvement. For one, it is an anti kickback bit, the original is not. The origin super dado bit I have that is not index has been only shappened ounce. It came back with an edge that is not perfect, which is what promped me on getting the indexed one. I consider it a good value for me, but I do not think you are into making dados like I would be.
I have purchased other indexed router bits from Ammana, as of yet I am abit like you in discussing their advantage. I need some more experience myself.
The carbide in the index tools is suppose to be harder and should not need to be sharpened as often. They can do this because it does not get brazed on to the bit. This is the type of bit that should be suited for CNC operation.
It is odd that you did not get more responce to you question on this WEB site, considering it is on a CNC power tool site. This type of bit is suppost to be the be of the future in the CNC router business.
I do not own a CNC router at this time. Maybe in ten years from now I will, and will be the person to ask.
Sincerely
Tim Warner

rgbrown@itexas.net
11-22-2002, 10:02 PM
Tim,

I have been using Her-Saf insert bits for a few months now. I recently finished a job with ~3,000 linear foot of bit in wood engagement. This was achieved on one of the four edges of a $3.25 insert. And, the insert is still sharp.

Ron Brown