View Full Version : Getting files from one computer to another

kaaboom_99
01-28-2005, 10:13 AM
Okay, I took the plunge and bought a PC laptop. Some newer model laptops do not have a serial port other than USB. They also do not have a floppy drive. This is the case with my purchase. In the past, I have only taken files to my dedicated computer for my PRT via floppy discs. I am going to see if there is a USB external floppy drive on the web. Has/does anyone use their USB port for their CNC machine for communication (with a USB to serial adaptor)? Any issues? I hope to be able to have my laptop as a backup computer to run the CNC aswell.
Thanks

srwtlc
01-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Perry, forget the floppy if you can and get a USB key/pen drive. A 256mb one will handle most if not all files that you need to transfer from one computer to another. If your USB ports are only on the back of your computer then get a extension cable and run it up front somewhere handy. They're grrreat!

beacon14
01-28-2005, 01:52 PM
Yes, my PRTAlpha uses a USB-serial adapter, it was provided by ShopBot and has worked fine.
My son uses one of the USB "thumb" drives as Scott suggests. They're not expensive, and you'll wonder why you've still been using floppys this whole time. I'd use one too, but my computers are networked.

wesday
01-28-2005, 11:37 PM
Wireless network your computers. I have done the floppy thing, the cd thing and the USB drive thing. With a $59 wireless router and a $39 USB wireless recever, it's the only way to go. IMHO.

kaaboom_99
01-29-2005, 12:58 AM
The only problem with the pen/key drive is the PC currently running my PRT has no USB outlets, is running windoze98 in a stripped down version (Win98Lite). I don't know if I want to battle with that tower to get a USB card installed. I should mention that I already have (6) PC's in my home on a network hub. As you can imagine, the network lines are very busy. Only the PC out in the shop is not on the network. I recall hearing some scare stories of PC on networks that pause a motion as it communicates with the rest of the network.
Thanks for the ideas though!

wesday
01-29-2005, 01:50 AM
Put "your" 2 computers on a different network.
I even occasionally pull small files from my Shopbot computer while the cnc is running. No problems yet,

Wes says as he crosses his fingers and knocks on MDF quietly in the background.

gerald_d
01-29-2005, 07:53 AM
Perry, there are issues with USB to serial adapters and the SB. Not all of them work. Ask SB for guidance on the types that do work.

kaaboom_99
01-29-2005, 11:07 AM
Thanks Gerald. I'll be sure to ask!
As for adding "another" network to my house.... I am busy enough troubleshooting computers that act 'juvenile' and don't want to talk to each other and allow firewalls to stop their nice playtime together.

richards
01-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Wireless networks have been reliable for me. I usually have at least 15 computers up and running on the same home/shop network at any one time.

A few tips that I've learned along the way (I've designed, built and still maintain several networks with 50+ computers per network that move gigabytes of data every day).

1. Use static addresses instead of DHCP whenever possible. (I only allow DHCP for salesmen and consultants who need temporary access to the network.)

2. Never, never, never use a HUB. Always, always, always use a SWITCH. A HUB broadcasts all packets to all ports, creating a lot of unnecessary traffic on the network. A SWITCH directs the packets between the transmitting computer and the receiving computer.

3. Use wireless only where necessary. A hard-wired connection is much faster than wireless and usually more reliable (fewer dropped packets per transmission - meaning that fewer packets have to be resent).

4. Limit the use of the computer that is attached to the Shopbot to running the Shopbot. A good computer costs less than $500 - a sheet of good plywood costs more than $50. How many sheets of good stock are ruined because the computer was dividing its attention between the controller and other background programs?

In my home/shop I have a wireless connection between my design computer and my shopbot computer. It's worked perfectly since the day that I installed it in July '04. Other than opening the case several times a week to blow out the dust, its run 24/7.

Mike

jf_allie
01-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Is it generic enought for a thread title ?

jf_allie
01-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Hey guys,

This is a great discussion, but in the wrong thread...

I started a new thread called: Getting files from one computer to another

tim_in_mn
01-30-2005, 05:14 PM
Attached is a picture of my 4 port USB Hub. It has room for my ArtCam Dongle and my 256mb flash drive. I also use a USB wireless mouse sometimes. I am amazed at how many files I can hold on the flash drive.
4959 Cost was only about $13.

old_post_frank
02-04-2005, 08:59 AM
Why would you want to use a wireless connection? there is so much electrical noise running around a shop with motors turning on and off, that I'm not sure one would want to take a chance on files getting corrupted. A wired ethernet connection is not difficult to put together and the shielded wire will prevent noise coupling. One advantage to the ethernet is this: you can edit and created files in the quiet of the office and sent the completed files directly to the shop bot computer. Ethernet is an industy standard and you don't have to worry if your new computer will have the connection you need.

wesday
02-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Well the key word here is wireless. No wires to run through walls, over floors etc. I have been running my shopbot computer to office computer for about a year now. I have not had any problems at all. I transfer files several times a day 5 or 6 days a week every week.

dirk
02-06-2005, 02:36 PM
I was wondering if anyone was storing their SB cut files on a server and running the files from the server. Or do the files need to be on the local Drive.

fleinbach
02-06-2005, 04:12 PM
I have been runing the files from my file server since I purchased my first shopbot. It feeds six computers my email and web sites.