PDA

View Full Version : Are Sharp 90 Degree Inside Corners Possible without Intersecting 2 pieces

zeke
08-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Anyone know if it is possible to cut an inside corner of a closed rectangle (an ' L ' shape cut) where the results are not rounded in the corner without having to intersect 2 or more separate pieces? The challenge is using a round bit to cut the inside corner yields the shape of the bit. I guess I could go down to a 1/16" bit and then file from there but it sure would be nice to the let the Bot do the work somehow. Anyone figure out a way around this? I included a drawing to look at what I am trying to cut which is the inside rectangle.

Gary Campbell
08-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Zeke...
The inside corner will always match the radius of the bit. A V Bit can be tooltpathed to yield a square inside corner, but the sides of the cut match the angle of the V bit. Sorry, no magic.
Gary

tmerrill
08-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Zeke,
What are you trying to make? If this will be exposed and you want/need square corners than it's like Gary said.

But if you are trying to make mortises, or some other application that will be hidden, doing a dog bone fillet will allow a square cornered object to be inserted. The latest versions of Aspire and PartWorks has an option that will do this for you. Not sure about other software packages.
Tim

richards
08-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Most cuts in the pre-CNC days were made on table saws and then the various parts were assembled to make a finished product. Today, with the CNC router as the primary tool for cutting, we need to rethink the situation. I've told my customers, those who wanted sharp non-V-cut corners, that with my machine I could produce a softer effect that didn't have the harshness of a sharp corner. In other words, sell what you can produce. You can still offer sharp corners at a higher price - because you'll be busy with a file or chisel or saw to 'sharpen' those corners.

blackhawk
08-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Zeke - I have done this trick that works pretty well. I have Vectric software. I use a V-bit a run a profile toolpath and select the "sharp corner" check box. Then I go back with a 1/4" endmill and pocket out the area. This will give you a perfect square at the top surface. Then you can go in with a chisel and clean up the small beveled area left by the V-bit in the bottom of the corner. You may have to play with the offsets in the profile toolpath to get the V-bit and endmill to line up, but it works.

zeke
08-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Great feedback, sounds like a V bit is the way to go without manual labor with a slight angle cut or perfect squares with a little manual labor. Decision time for me, this helps, thank you!