PDA

View Full Version : What to cover eps foam

foamcarver
06-09-2006, 02:12 PM
we have a client that wants to vaccum form some eps foam, but what should it be covered with first so the foam don't melt? Thanks in advance.

Nikki
nicole@foamcarver.com (mailto:nicole@foamcarver.com)

artisan
06-13-2006, 11:15 AM
There is little you can do to guard against the foam melting in the heat of a vacuum form chamber. Your best option is to make a cast of the piece with silicone and then recast the piece in plaster or some other inert cementious type material. The foam will simply "wash" away from the silicone with acetone....sort of like a lost wax process....I do this often....works like a charm. Otherwise.....you're going to have one very messy vacuum forming table....not to mention the possible damage from fire....D

dave_m
08-18-2006, 10:57 PM
The company West Marine makes a product called West System Epoxy. It's a 2 part epoxy system that is used generally for boat hull repair. It's water proof and has some heat resitent qualities. I have used it as a sealent for insulation foam before vauum forming. It holds up quite well and creates a hard shell which can be sanded. Normally it's used as a substitute for fiberglass work when polyester resin is not desired. Also a product Aqua Resin I have heard works about the same and it is a water based material.