PDA

View Full Version : Offset error

pete
05-20-2005, 09:37 PM
I created a .125 offset to the profile of a sign that I created. The offset will be a through cut to remove the sign from the rest of the material (oak). The offset looks fine in PW2 – it has the correct dimensions, etc. The basic sign is 8"x16" and the outside offset measures 8.25 x 16.25 in PW2. But when I do a profile aircut the machine is moving 1" or more outside of the sign size instead of .125 that it should be. I have recreated the offset several times in PW2 and checked settings, etc. I have rebooted the SB and the control program – no change. I am using a .250 end mill for the cutter.

I guess the one good thing about this is that the error is consistent, no matter how many times I have tried it. So, I think that rules out electrical interference or a transient condition.
I have done offset cutting many times before with perfect results – this has me baffled – any ideas anyone. Thanks, Pete

jsfrost
05-20-2005, 10:23 PM
Any possibility you (or your messed up keyboard) may have entered comma rather than dot? I've done that in other programs with strange results, and it's something my old eyes ofter fail to catch. I have no idea of how PW might react, I'm just brainstorming.

pete
05-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Jim - thanks for your input - I did recheck and it is an offset of .125 (with a period). And PW does show the correct sizing of the offset from the outside sign profile. In addition, tool simulation shows it working perfectly but not when I do an air cut. Pete

Ryan Patterson
05-20-2005, 11:32 PM
Where the unit values(VU) changed?

mrdovey
05-20-2005, 11:40 PM
Peter...

You might also take a look in your SHOPBOT.INI file at the first VC parameter value.

...Morris

pete
05-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Morris & Ryan - thanks for your inputs as well. I did check VU and VC parameters and everything OK. Have not resolved the issue - but laid it to rest for now. Thanks again.

bob_lofthouse
05-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Peter could the following link help and be a possible cause of the problem click here (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=1038&post=15129#POST15129)

pete
05-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Robert - Thanks for your input. Actually, I just now went and rechecked my cutter value (VC) and I had two decimal points in front of the cutter value - shame on me for not checking the VC closer when Morris suggested that. I must have given it a cursory glance before instead. Anyway, I think that will resolve the issue - and I will try another offset in a few moments. Thanks again to all for your assistance. Pete

beacon14
05-22-2005, 08:53 PM
If you created the toolpath in PartWizard I don't believe changing the cutter value will solve the problem as PW only uses CG commands with the [T]rue option for the "inside/outside/true" parameter. The cutter value only comes into play if you use the [I]nside or [O]utside options for circles and rectangles.

Any chance you specified the incorrect tool or the incorrect diameter for the tool you chose in PW to create the toolpath?

paco
05-23-2005, 12:18 AM
Peter,

is the rest of your part files working correctly right now; is this issue only specific to this file?

It's late (sorry, maybe it's not a relevant question)... why are you creating an offset (vector) for profiling toolpath in PW?

David's right about the VC thing...