View Full Version : Scaling At Run-Time

stickman
07-27-2004, 09:24 PM
I did some of this while running a rosette, haven't tried in on anything else. I spent some time looking through the forum to see if I could find anything here, but I couldn't.

Here is my question, iv'e got a file that cuts from a 12" x 12" x 3/4" blank of MDF, with an 1/8" Spiral bit.

I want to scale this project up 2 - 4 times that size. If I scale the X and the Y = 2, does that mean that I need to move up to a 1/4" Spiral?

Thought I'd pass it through this exceptional group of help, and tried and true.

Thanks

ron brown
07-28-2004, 07:20 AM
Here's a nice Non-answer Jay - It depends on the design! And, not seeing the drawing, it will be difficult to properly answer.

BUT- on the other hand there are fingers and since we have five fingers on that hand.... Logic says you are correct in your thinking.

Ron

artisan
07-28-2004, 06:31 PM
I agree with Ron....not seeing your design makes it difficult to predict whether you'll encounter problems......this is what pink and blue foam is great for....D

stickman
07-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Well, guys lets say that we take a circle with a area cleared in the center in the shape of a diamond... Hypothetically...

Brady Watson
07-28-2004, 08:53 PM
Then hypothetically speaking...If you are happy with the tool radius in the diamond at 1X scale XY and and 1/8" bit, then *theoretically* you could get away with a 1/4" bit at 2X XY scale with the same results/radius finish.

-Brady