PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic and Scratches

kivimagi
02-13-2005, 04:23 PM
I'm cutting a piece out of cast acrylic, and I'm concerned about scratching it, while loading/unloading from the shopbot table.

Does anyone have any helpful tips? Can I leave the protective film on?

Thanks

fleinbach
02-13-2005, 04:44 PM
I'll let you know in about a week or two if you don't get an answer sooner. I will be cutting some for one of my marquee's. I intend on leaving the protective covering on to make the cuts.

billp
02-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Ryan/Frank,
I did a job a few months back, and the protective film was the simplest way to go. If it's not too large you could always use some of the vinyl paint mask material as well, since it leaves no tacky residue when you remove it....

Ken Brisk (Unregistered Guest)
02-13-2005, 06:37 PM
If it's the paper type it is not a problem to leave it on. If it's the polyetylene film type it will be OK as long as it isn't loose. If it is loose (replace it with vinyl app. tape - Bill's idea) and your bit catches just right you'll wish you never started the project. If you do get some fine scratches sometimes a heat gun (carefully) or a hair dryer will remove them. Not all but some such as Spectar. It's pretty cool to see the scratches disapear.

cnc_works
02-13-2005, 09:58 PM
I've been cutting a lot of 3/8" cast acrylic lately and I just leave the protective paper on. Ship it to my customer that way, too.

I often wonder, however, if the paper dulls my bits faster than if I weren't cutting it.

Donn

elcruisr
02-14-2005, 06:39 AM
I've cut a fair amount with both paper and plastic sheeting as a protective cover. The only time I've removed the top layer is if it is loose or we need a tool smaller than 1/4. We did several jobs requiring engraved backs with 1/16 tools and they pick up the cover sheets and break pretty quick! Even with 1/4 if the cover sheet starts building up on the tool it will induce extra vibration and degrade the quality of the cut. When possible I like to stay with 3/8 or larger for improved edge quality. If we remove the top layer we recover with blue 3M long mask to prevent scratching.

Eric