PDA

View Full Version : Need help in making a MDF Door to match existing one

ed_lang
07-03-2006, 10:24 AM
I want to duplicate a MDF door as close as I can. It does not have to be a perfect match, just close. I have posted some pictures of what I am trying to duplicate in a link below.

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/gallery/1625810/1/79223782

I have determined that the bevel on the inside of the rail and style was cut with a 120* bit.

The final size of the two doors I wish to make and have match the profile as close as I can are 16" wide by 21" tall.

I am looking for some guidance in creating the file and picking the correct bits. I do not expect someone to just make the file and post. I want to learn in the process.

The software I have available to me is Part Wizard, Corel X3 and V-Carve Pro V3.

Ed.

den73160
07-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Ed, I'm sorry my eyes must be bad I can tell what kind of profile those are.

Contact me and maybe we can guide you through it.

richards
07-03-2006, 11:41 AM
The FreeDoors program from Bruce Clark and me can handle that door. As you stated, you'll need a 120-degree V-cutter, a wide groove cutter to match the width of the groove and a special cove cutter to match the design of the raised panel. That cove cutter might be hard to find. (All of the cutters that I've seen that have a similar design also have an end-mounted bearing - which would interfere).

stevem
07-03-2006, 12:20 PM
The bearing on a profile cutter can easily be removed and the threaded portion cut off. You would have to pre-cut the flat bottom portion with a bottom-cutting straight bit before cutting the profile, since the profile cutter would have no bottom cutting ability.

paco
07-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Hi Ed!

You can use Mike's and Bruce's Free door to do that or V Carve PRO will handle this nicely too.

It's been a moment that I've used Free doors so I'll let you learn to use it on your own or with the help of someone else.

In VCP; V Carve the perimeter rectangle at a width that will allow you to reach the desired depth but to avoid the center profiling rectangle. You'll need a temporary inner rectangle for this. You just need to set a flat bottom depth for this V carving. Then, you need to profile the center with a shaped tool (I believe, from what I can see on the pics.). Next, pocket the leftover and cut out the door. I would recommend to pocket with a large tool bit (1/2" CED) to avoid too much tool marks unless you have to nest 'em tight.

This may sound rough explanation but it's the basic of it. V Carve PRO will able you to make sure (preview) of the result. It will even handle this shaped too bit you might have to use! You can have the door approved before with VCP!

You might be able to find a plunging shaped tool bit or you can follow Steve's advise with some precaution as you'll need to "ramp in" (or sort of) with this kind of modified tool bit...

Let us know if you need more help!... and I would be curious about your finishing process.