View Full Version : Hold Down Methods when cutting Aluminum

mikek
04-13-2005, 11:41 PM
We are going to be cutting aluminum letters for signage and would like to know what successful methods any of you may have used for fixturing and cutting both large and small aluminum objects on the ShopBot. Thanks for your help.

Brady Watson
04-14-2005, 01:44 AM
Mike,
Depending on how many pieces you are cutting, a vacuum grid with a 'mask' of offset part vectors and some AllStar gasketing is a great combination. You can use a standard shopvac with a 2.25" hose.

-Brady

gerald_d
04-14-2005, 02:27 AM
What would be the smallest alu lettering that a shopvac and "non-slip" gasket will hold down?

paco
04-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Mike,

I would suggest tabs; hoping that you can locate 'em were you need/want... you would'nt need a very long nor thick tabs; one or two should be enought (at least one at the end of the path)... but for 'em to have a hold, you would need to have to sheet as flat as possible... or they'll get cut as well (depending on how thick/thin they are).

Curious; will you be cutting your letterage dry (without cutting lub)?

mikek
04-28-2005, 08:54 AM
Paco, I am going to try the Arizona Vortex Tube "Cool Tool" to start with. If I have to use something else, I will, but would rather keep it clean! I will try the tabs also. I realize that "flat" with aluminum is a variable. Thanks.