View Full Version : Choppy Machine tool path

prosigns
02-13-2004, 05:32 PM
The strangest thing happen just now. I imported a job to cut a plastic stensil of a logo for a customer. I set it up to cut with the engraver head. When I tried to set up a machine tool path, instead of following the contour of the logo, has taken "Short cuts" and drawn the path as straight lines. I tried drawing a circle on the same file. It made a MTP and it followed the contour of the circle just fine. The logo has a lot of points. Is it possible that is the problem? This has never happened before. Could it be a courupt file?

prosigns
02-13-2004, 05:54 PM
I took a picture off the screen to show the problem.

prosigns
02-13-2004, 06:04 PM
FYI. I cut this same file on a vinyl cutter, and it cut fine, no choppy lines like the pic. above.

Brady Watson
02-13-2004, 08:59 PM
When you go to make the toolpath, make sure that the tolerance textbox has a value of between .001 and .0001. It looks like the toolpath is straying from the vectors because the tolerance to follow those vectors is too 'loose'.

-Brady

prosigns
02-13-2004, 10:12 PM
Brady
Your a lifesaver. I just went out to the shop and checked. Value was set on .1 . Go figure? reset it and MTP came out fine. Getting late tonight, but I'll fire it up tomorrow and finish the job. Thanks for your help.
Gary