PDA

View Full Version : Changing bits hard with dust collector in way???

bobbuttons
07-29-2001, 07:57 PM
does the dust collector get in the way of changing bits during a job requiring multiple changes?? thanks guys

bwclark@centurytel.net
07-29-2001, 11:57 PM
It depends.

Bruce Clark
bwclark@centurytel.net (mailto:bwclark@centurytel.net)

ron_cleaver
07-30-2001, 07:32 AM
If you need to maintain the position of the z axis, then save it and then move the z axis to its maximum height, which will raise it above the dust collector. I also use a quick change chuck that makes multiple changes easy, unless you need to change, say, from a 1/4" to 1/2" shank.

garbob
07-30-2001, 11:39 AM
One of the biggest problems that I encountered when I first started using MY SB PRT96 was the dusthead that came with it. It always seemed to be in the way when changing bits. That coupled with the short wrenches that came with the Porter Cable router made multiple bit changes impossible, because the torque you have to apply to open the collet inevitably moved the y axis out of position. Sinch I have built this dust head and picked up two REAL automotive type wrenches, which allow the smooth change of not just the bit but the collet as well, I have never lost position due to bit changes. There is a picture on my site at http://www.sugeri.com/CNC/Pictures/pictures.htm

waynelocke
07-30-2001, 04:40 PM
Can you show some more pictures and details of your dust pickup.

jay_mack1@hotmail.com
11-11-2003, 12:46 PM
Guys!

I've done my word search for pictures of dust collecting boots, setups and fitting. Can ya'll help direct me in some good locations to find what others have done, to make a dust collection boot for the porter cable router. I've seen a few good ideas, just looking for more variety to mix and match with. Dust collection has my next priority.

I've had my bot (Big Blue) for a week and I am loving it. Enjoy the v-carved text. A little disappointed with the small amount in Part Wizard that cut, look forward to seeing more in another release. If there are more out there, I'd like to get ahold of more of them.

I've found programming to be quite east, well what I have done. My 12 year old picked it up quickly.

Another question I've got, the strut nuts, where do I find those. Any major chain carry those?

I know I had more questions, but at the moment can't think of too many others. Just soaking in the power of the tool!

Thanks!

olecrafty
11-11-2003, 01:58 PM
Home Depot has strut nuts, also any electrical supply house will have them.

jay_mack1@hotmail.com
11-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Fastenal has them as well, with nice springs on them, those would have been nice a couple times. I got my one that I needed for free as well as the angle bracket that I needed. My bill came up to under a dollar...