PDA

View Full Version : Probing a guitar body

wberminio
12-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Can any one help me out?
I need to probe a guitar body to make a 3d file.
I have a wood sample.
Any suggestions or advice wood be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Erminio

rcnewcomb
12-16-2009, 11:47 AM
If you don't have a probe then I suggest contacting Brady Watson at IBILD.COM (http://www.ibild.com/). I had him scan a musical instrument neck for me and I was pleased with the results.

wberminio
12-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Randall
I do have a probe but have never used it before.
I like to try it out.I'm just looking for some pointers.
It looks like I might be cutting guitar bodies soon.

Erminio

mikeacg
12-16-2009, 12:18 PM
I have one too, Erminio, but I kept reading about people breaking them so I wanted to hold off until I had time to spend doing it right. I will be interested in what you learn here!

Mike

Brady Watson
12-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Erminio,
Be VERY careful probing any instrument that you don't want the finish damaged on...Just about every touch probe I have seen leaves small tell-tale pits where the stylus contacted the surface.

Also - take care when probing any deep areas, as the probe, if not limited in depth, can come down and mar the finish of the instrument.

-B

wberminio
12-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Brady
The body I have is unfinished maple,so that shouldn't be an issue.The probe I have is from Shopbot.
Thanks for the tips.
If it doesn't work out-I'll be giving you a call

Erminio

mikeacg
12-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Brady,

Will the probe work on automotive clay (it's fairly hard at room temperature)?

Mike

Brady Watson
12-17-2009, 05:27 PM
It will depend on how sensitive your specific probe is. A Roland Picza is better but it still lances the clay. Obviously laser is best since it doesn't ever touch the clay.

-B

eaglesplsh
12-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Hey Erminio - Give me a call if you're interested in some company when you're ready to try probing.

I've been meaning to ask you a few questions related to X-mas presents that I'm making. Hope we can catch each other soon - I'm running out of time.

Russ

wberminio
12-18-2009, 07:20 AM
Hi Russ

That will be fine.
I'll be out of the shop most of the day.
I'll email u my cell #
Give me a call.

Erminio