View Full Version : Holy Molly Static lit me up!!

andrewm
03-12-2004, 08:52 PM
I was vacuuming off the table of all the saw dust after a big cut job today with my ShopVac and felt the hair raise on my arms, before I could react I got the biggest zap of static electricity I have ever gotten before!! About knocked me on my butt. Hell my finger still hurts where i got zapped!

Has anyone else ever had this happen? Is there any good solutions. I don't want to go through a zap like that again. I have read the posts about running wire in your dust collection system, but what about the portable vac for cleaning off the table?

Andrew

pappy
03-12-2004, 09:34 PM
One solution I have found (been there done that) is to lean on you metal table as you do it presuming that your table is. Just keep yourself grounded while you use the vac.

mrdovey
03-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Andrew...

Short of wearing a tinfoil glove connected to a ground stake, there isn't much you can do about this kind of static.

Just out of curiosity, were you vacuuming with the hose wands removed?

...Morris

andrewm
03-13-2004, 07:56 AM
I had the hose wand on with a dust brush so I could reach across the table. Usually it is pretty humid here in Florida, but we have had some really nice cool dry weather the last week.

Andrew

Mike Annetts (Unregistered Guest)
03-15-2004, 07:02 PM
Hello
Had the same problem. Just run a ground wire through the hose (outside might work) and onto a ground point (probabaly any place on frame if its like ours) and it will ground out the static through the ground wire on you plug in.

Mike