PDA

View Full Version : Need input on Carving Banjo Necks: Initial Design & Tweaks

rcnewcomb
01-07-2007, 12:59 AM
I've decided that I want to build some banjos and I'd appreciate some input on the best way to get the initial cutting file for the neck and how to be able to fine tune the design for efficient machining and proper playability.

Necks are typically carved out of a block of wood that is 26"x2"x3". It is usually a glue-up of maple, mahogany, or walnut.

Since I currently have no 3D design software it looks like my choices are to pay someone to:
1) scan a physical neck that I provide
2) create the neck file based on blueprints that I have

Which method would provide a better file for tweaking later?

If you were in my position would you go with option 1 or 2?

Additional information:
I'll probably use Cut3D for toolpathing. Probably a 1/2" ballnose would work as the carving bit. I'd prefer a design that would only need to be carved on the front and back, rather than having to machine 4 sides. Final shaping would be done using a spindle sander so I can do some of the undercuts and sand out stepover marks.

Brady Watson
01-07-2007, 02:53 AM
Randall,
I think it depends on the complexity of the neck. From what I have seen, some are very simple & others are very ornate. Musical instruments are very sensitive to the type of wood & the shape can influence the sound quite a bit (I'm sure you already know this). Personally, I think that having a neck from a good sounding banjo laser digitized is the way to go. From there you can toolpath in Cut3D or any other CAM program that you choose, or have the toolpaths setup for you (or both). Drawing the neck properly means the CAD person needs the banjo in person (if you want it done right) while he measures and transfers the measurements to CAD. Depending on the curvature of the neck, this can be a challenge to get dead on the money.

-B