PDA

View Full Version : Anyone cutting slate tiles?

Mayo
04-26-2001, 02:28 PM
I was at the local Home Depot and bought a 12x12 slate tile, thinking I might be able to rout/engrave something into it.

Before ruining any bits or subjecting myself to flying schrapnel, I thought it wise to ask if anyone has done this, and if so, what bit and what speed did you use?

Did you use any coolant on the bit while cutting?

I have seen the Marty Harper web site mentioned in other posts but I don't think he's using a shopbot.

danhamm@abccom.bc.ca
04-26-2001, 02:38 PM
I just did 10 6x8 ceramic made in brazil bathroom
tiles with "sayings" for a craft store. I used
a resharpened sign bit, it worked well, I have a
compressed air paint sprayer,filled with water
I used it for cooling if you want a pic ?

Dan

Donna
04-26-2001, 03:55 PM
We just had a customer come in with a piece of
cultured marble and we cut out a circle using a 1/4" spiral end bit. The edges would have been sharper if we had used a better hold down (we used double sided tape) but otherwise it cut pretty well. I was pretty impressed with the speed it cut through. As for slate, maybe using a diamond bit? As far as I know no one has tried it yet. We tried engraving in granite once but it was a failure. Hopefully someone will fess up to their accomplishments with this type of dangerous cutting! :-)

donchapman
04-26-2001, 06:36 PM
I've handcarved, gilded, and painted slate tiles, but have never tried routing them with my ShopBot.
There are many varieties of slate, but the better ones carve nicely even with woodworking chisels. Slate is much softer than granite, harder than limestone, and a bit softer than some of the nicer carving marbles. The best Welsh blue-black slate was laid down 500 million years ago and is very uniform in texture with few flaws. It is not easily available in the U.S. but holds a clean cut edge for centuries even when exposed to weathering. Some slate gravestones carved centuries ago still have distinct lettering and graphics. Much of the slate available today comes from India, China, and South America and can vary widely in quality and color. I may try routing some slate on my SB, and will probably try slow speeds, water and/or air cooling, and prayer. I would expect some minor disasters before much success.

Mayo
04-27-2001, 11:15 AM
Would love to see pictures, Dan.
I'm wondering if your tiles were actual ceramic or just fired clay tiles?

Is cultured marble actual stone or is it plastic, like corian?

danhamm@abccom.bc.ca
04-27-2001, 02:10 PM
I can't answer either of your question's
it's a bathroom wall tile, it drills with a
cement bit quite nice, it cuts with a carbide
easily looks good!!! I will send a pic to your email add. Dan

gost
04-27-2001, 10:34 PM
roto zip has bits that cut tile