PDA

View Full Version : Corflute

simon
02-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Hi.
Does anyone have experience of cutting Corflute? - This is a brand name for the cheap nasty real estate agent's board - you know, the white double skinned stuff with the square channels running lengthwise, really lightweight.
Whenever I cut it laterally, the skins cut fine, but the vertical walls tear away in little tongues, specially on the climb edge. I have tried fast, slow, fluted, spiral up and down. but the results are always terrible.
Simon

billp
02-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Simon,
Locally the product is called Coroplast. We did a demo at the New Jersey Camp this year which involved trying to cut the stuff with a few different companies router bits. The ONLY bit which gave a clean edge was the Belin "O" bit. Everything else left the same jagged edges you mentioned. I don't know how many linear inches one could cut before degradation of cut quality set in but again it was the only one that gave ANY hope of cutting the stuff...

superior
02-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi Simon....I have cut, mostly unsuccessfully, a lot of coroplast right after Bills camp, mostly Chrismas deco yard art. I used the 1/8" bit NO success, the 1/4" bit with great success....for a while. Then the whiskers began. So, next year, I will find a different substrate to work with. Having said that, I cut MANY types of yard art: candles, reindeer, sleighs, stars, etc with the stuff, in various colors. From the curb to the yard, they looked really great. I drilled holes in the objects,and added small lights. The were the hit of my neighborhood. Seems the small imperfections are no problem when used this way. As Bill noted, only the Belin "O" bit cut cleanly, not even the Onsrud. The 1/4" spiral downcut bit was the best for us. I use a five zone vac table with Sears 16 gal vac, it worked just fine.
Like everything else, seems the final applications vary tremendously with each 'botter. So long as there is no close up inspection, I will continue to use the coroplast. Otherwise, I will opt for something else, like gatorfoam or such.
Hope this helps.

paco
02-08-2005, 06:52 PM
http://www.cooptel.qc.ca/~usinum/coropl.jpg

1/8" CED Onsrud #10-02... CONVENTIONNAL cut at around 90-110"/sec... full depth for sure! No more fast though...

simon
02-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Thanks everyone

I tried cutting one way, and then doing another pass in the other direction, which seems to help a bit, but still the whiskers remain.

Simon

gerald_d
02-09-2005, 12:51 AM
Paco, judging by the size of the circle/oval in your picture, and the speed you gave in the post above, you can cut about 20 000 per hour - is that right?

mikejohn
02-09-2005, 12:57 AM
Darn it, I knew I should have gone for the Alpha.
..............Mike

paco
02-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Oups! 1.5-2"/sec.

gerald_d
02-09-2005, 12:13 PM
You choose well, Mike.