PDA

View Full Version : Extend stepper cable.

cnc_works
11-13-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm kind of taking a step back, closing my business and moving my SB to my new home shop and I want to move the control box to be with my other computers about 6' further away than the cables will allow. Are there any distance limitations on cable length? I would like to be lazy and just add an extension to the existing cables, but is there a persuasive reason to buy longer cables and completely rewire? What kind of a supply house would be likely to sell the proper wire? Are there any other factors I'm not considering? Thanks, guys!

Donn

erik_f
11-15-2008, 12:21 AM
I'm sure its not ideal but you may be able to make some cables with wagos on both ends. That way if it doesn't work you didn't hack up the end of your stock cables

Towersonline
11-15-2008, 11:49 AM
I once owned a specialized 20 ft long ShopBot that had extended cables. ShopBot simply made a set of cables to extend the original factory ones. The extension had Wago male connectors on one end and Wago female connectors on the other end. I'll bet that ShopBot would have the parts you will need.

cnc_works
11-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Interestingly enough, I finally called SB and was told that 28' was the maximum they recommend (no problem there for me). But he said that they don't recommend having a break in the cable, just out of general principle to protect against any additional source of short or open so I should just rewire with longer cables.

I think that I will make extensions anyway and just do my darndest to insure a good connection that will stay that way. Maybe use some large shrink tubing on the wegos (is it wegos or wagos?).

Thanks for the responses.

Donn