View Full Version : Long Shank Bits for Soft Foam

kfitz
07-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Does anyone know where I can get long shank (6"+) ball end router bits for doing 3D cutting in soft foam (Styrofoam insulation board)?

Regards,
Kevin Fitz-Gerald

billp
07-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Kevin,
You might try MSC ( www.mscdirect.com (http://www.mscdirect.com)) I have a 5",.5"ball nosed bit here that I use for the same exact purpose you are looking for, BUT it only has a 3"cutting length. I'd love to find a .25"bit of the same length ( or longer..)to do touch up work. From what I have found to get that length you need to go larger in the diameter, and that isn't helping in some of the detailed stuff I'm cutting lately.

kerrazy
07-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Hey Kevin,
Onsrud has some extended length Up Cut Ball nose Spiral bits available, the longest is an overall length of 5 inches. with a 1.5 inch Cutting edge length. Part # 52-360BL

I wouldn't go much longer as you only have 6 inches of cutting capacity and it will rack the Z if you have to raise up over your material to move from point to point.
Dale

kfitz
07-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Bill & Dale, thank you. After doing a little calculating, I realize I only need 4" overall length. I found a cheap bit at MSC that will work. The project I will be using it for is by far the coolest I have worked on yet. It involves a full-size Velociraptor that will be going to a museum (if I can pull this off!). I will keep everyone updated as I progress.

-Kevin