PDA

View Full Version : PR - 4G upgrade

ljdm
08-31-2007, 03:34 PM
PR owners who upgraded - I do mostly 3D work, signs, plaques, etc reliefs .25-.5 height, what kind of realistic speed gain will I see from the upgrade? I know resolution will improve, but 3D really slows things down. Right now I only get about 1.75ips move speed, z move is about .5ips. Really want the upgrade, but only if I see improvement in speed as well as quality.

Also - are there enough PR users left to have a section on the forum for older machines - most of the info posted is for newer models

Bill Thorpe
09-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Lou, I had a PR up until a few months ago. It had an up-graded Z and a PRT control box. I had thought about the 4G board up grade but I was not sure the PR metalwork would stand up to the increased stresses. I found the machine needed frequent alignment as it was. You are cutting at the same speeds I was using.

ljdm
09-01-2007, 09:17 AM
1.75ips - was that what you got after the upgrade? Looking for as much info as possible, need to know where to spend money I don't have on mods that will improve things most.

thewoodcrafter
09-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Lou
I bought a PR with the PRT upgrade about a year ago.
I can cut at 2.5 - 3 ips with no problems and jog at 4.5.
I too am thinking about the 4G board, just takes money.

dirk
09-02-2007, 10:49 AM
I upgraded my PR control box to a PRT box about 4 years ago. I was extremely pleased with the improvement. Likewise I saw the same magnitude of improvment going to Gecko's. Now in your case going straight to Gecko's from a PR box will really kick. Remember you'll need to upgrade your computer along with the G4. If your PR has gear motors they probably are 6 wire meaning you could hook them up 1/2 coil which also would add a lot of performance. I highly recomend the upgrade, it's a lot of bang for the buck.
Dirk

paul_n
09-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Dirk....
Your email address in your profile will no longer work. Please let me know how to contact you !!

Thanks
Paul

dirk
09-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Hey Paul
I've updated my profile.
Dirk