PDA

View Full Version : Machining billet aluminum

ron_cleaver
09-12-2002, 11:54 AM
I have a couple of ideas for producing some accessories for Corvettes. My research leads me to believe that I should use billet aluminum. I expect to use using pieces from about .25" to 1" thick. I'll proably have to build a jig to hold the pieces.

I've never worked with it and I could use some advice from anyone with experience. From the forum searches I've done, I gather:

1. I need to use a lubricant.
2. Onsrud could help with bit selection

What's a good feed rate for roughing and finishing? What do you use to polish the finishd parts? How about recommendations for suppliers of the raw material?

And finally, why is it called 'billet' aluminum?

rgbrown@itexas.net
09-12-2002, 08:44 PM
"And finally, why is it called 'billet' aluminum?"

Ron,

Probably because it is milled form a chunk of aluminum. From the dictionary:

BILLET:
Main Entry: 3billet
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English bylet, from Middle French billete, diminutive of bille log, of Celtic origin; akin to Old Irish bile landmark tree
Date: 15th century
1 a : a chunky piece of wood (as for firewood) b obsolete : CUDGEL
2 a : a bar of metal b : a piece of semifinished iron or steel nearly square in section made by rolling an ingot or bloom c : a section of nonferrous metal ingot hot-worked by forging, rolling, or extrusion d : a nonferrous casting suitable for rolling or extrusion

Ron Brown - rgbrown@itexas.net (mailto:rgbrown@itexas.net)

"In general the art of government consists in taking as much money as possible from one class of citizens to give to the other."
--Voltaire