PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for small vacuum table

44henry
09-27-2009, 06:03 PM
I would like to build a smaller vacuum table that I could place on the bed of the ShopBot for smaller projects such as door signs that could be made to work with a shopvac or Fein. I thought someone had posted something similar here some time back but I cannot seem to find the information on it. If anybody has any information I would greatly appreciate it.

bob_s
09-27-2009, 06:06 PM
try search on "Brady vac"
or go right to the source
http://www.shopbottools.com/BradysTricks.htm

rcnewcomb
09-28-2009, 10:35 AM
When we replaced the sacrifice board on our table we decided to try an experiment. We cut the hole for the shop vac, then we tried just placing the gasket material directly on the table. For our materials it has worked very well. When we need a different size vacuum area we just cut out sections or scrape off the gasket material that we don't need and lay down a fresh strip for our new border.

The basic steps are:
1. Cut a hole in the table
2. Connect the shop vac to the underside of the hole
3. On the top side place some gasket material centered about the hole that is roughly the size of your blank
4. Lay the board on the gasket material
5. Turn on the vac & check for leaks
6. Carve the material

44henry
09-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks, you have all been very helpful. I just happend across an old vacuum pump, a Duo Seal vacuum pump model 1402. I'm trying to determine if it is powerful enough for any application on the ShopBot, is anyone familiar with this model. Thanks.

cnc_works
10-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Yes, I used one for a long time. It works great for near zero leak hold down systems with gaskets. You have to be sure and filter the air to keep contaminates out of the oil and watch for moisture contamination of the oil. The oil needs changing more often than most pumps and is something like $16/gt. It is a very expensive scientific pump and can pull against no flow at 26inches all day long with no problem. Very high vac, very low cfm.

Depends on what you need it to do. I used it to hold down cedar sign blanks laid on an acrylic grid with gasketing. Coulda picked up the whole cnc before I could break the seal.

Donn