PDA

View Full Version : Square corners

ljdm
10-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Been a few posts asking how to get as close to square corners as possible. I need to duplicate some door panels in mdf, have the bits used in the attached profile. What method can I use to get corners as square as possible? Was thinking of using the 2 bits in the profile, then running a 1/16 bit in corners (outside corners)to clean it up/square it. Gotta be a better way.

richards
10-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Lou,
With the two cutters that you have, I don't know of any way to get truely square corners. The test I use is to simply hold the cutter in my hand and lift it at 45-degrees. A V-cutter will make a 'square' corner, but other bits won't.

ljdm
10-20-2007, 08:37 PM
I know the 2 bits won't do it, that's whay I thought maybe draw a vector line on outside and inside of bead, and run a 1/16 ball or end mill. There would be a triangle area in each corner to machine out. Lot of figuring. The only way I can see is with at least 3 bits

richards
10-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Assuming that corner is at a 90-degree angle and that you're using a 90-degree V cutter, you could move both the X-axis and the Y-axis TAN(cutter angle / 2) * Z-axis depth. In the doors program, the formula to cut the left-top corner using the 'C' language is:

void SQNorLT(FILE *fp)
{

ljdm
10-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Guess there's always the manual method - corner chisel is faster than bit changes, re-zeroing, and creating the toolpath.

rhfurniture
10-21-2007, 07:02 AM
Yup - I would stop wasting time thinking, get a sharp chisel and a small square of abrasive, and you will be streets ahead up to fifty doors, 2nd z axis and the rest. You could possibly use the bottom small diameter of the ovolo bit to clean out the top outer corner a bit.
Personally as a maker of small numbers of high end things, I am particularly interested in use of hand-tools plus cnc in making parts.

sawkerf
10-22-2007, 10:35 AM
I use those same two bits along with a 1/16 veining bit to achieve a "square" corner. Obviously not a true square but certainly an industry standard for MDF doors. I used the same bits on my Ritter door system before I got my bot. Good luck.

ljdm
10-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Do you run the 1/16 along the top and bottom of the bead? How do you get the triangular piece at the top of each corner?