PDA

View Full Version : SLAT WALL

coach
09-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Been asked to quote slat wall cuts in 3/4" MDF.
I will need a custom bit I am sure.
Not sure though if my 2.2 spindle can handle the cut.
It is 1 3/8" wide cut by 3/8" high. It is down 3/16 of an inch. Not sure if I can cut a 1/4 track then run the 1 3/8 bit through.

gene
09-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Yes cut the straight track groove then do the second cut. They have bits for this but i often find that you can buy slat wall mdf for the price of doing it yourself

jerry_stanek
09-08-2009, 01:06 PM
I found this site but haven't used any of their bits.
http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v143-0702

coach
09-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Gene, I don't want to tell the contractor to buy it.
Plus the pieces are laminated specific colors.
I sent a request for a bit quote today.
But running the first pass clearing out a track will make me more comfortable with my 2 h.p.

Jerry, went to the site you linked. My drawing states 1 3/8" diam. their bit is 1 3/16" diam.
The small diam is perfect at 3/8". I am sending them an e mail.
Thanks.
David

Gary Campbell
09-08-2009, 05:38 PM
David...
With many of the lpl covered slatwall panels priced under $40, there isnt a lot of room left for bit and laminate purchase, let alone cutting time and glue up. You might consider purchase of pre made sheets, or blank sheets and install of the laminate. I know we would be hard pressed to make a buck when we consider what we pay for mdf.
Gary

gerryv
09-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Maybe show the customer how you can provide customized Slatwall with V groove lettering and 3D graphics and maybe even colour and buy the Slatwall on the quiet? The client gets "classy and distinct" and you get less grief and better margins. (A newbie at CNC but not at business).

coach
09-08-2009, 06:15 PM
The contractor orders it from the supply house. They lay it up then bring it to me. They also pick it up.
But looking at the prices there isn't room for maybe $10.00 - $12.00 per panel. Unless they promise me 100 pcs. this may be a flop. Maybe I can get them to buy the bit.......ha ha ha

bleeth
09-09-2009, 06:27 AM
Sounds like the contractor priced it based on mass produced and is now trying to get custom for the same or less money. Either that or he is going for more profit by pricing down your labor. For the number of slots and time it takes I don't see a profit for you on a per sheet basis, but I do see a whole lot of mdf dust to clean up!!

Gary Campbell
09-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Dave & David...
I can see that 150mph mdf dust shooting out of the end of the slot hitting a wall and looking like Chernobyl in the shop. Dont think any dust collector made could catch that!

Gary

ghostcreek
09-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I've Spent 10 years working at plants all over North America that manufactured MDF; Molding, Doors and commerical parts (I installed automated finishing systems). I hate MDF dust! I guess it is my phobia now, but I will not use it in my shop unless I can control 90% of the dust. It is a nightmare, it gets everywhere ( I've had VFD's and PLC cards and CPU's fail because of it.) Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. I too believe you can purchase the Slatwall and then customize it for your client. It does sound like the contractor might be using you a little bit. It happens way too often to smaller shops during this down economy. Good luck

pwbell
09-09-2009, 01:28 PM
I make plaques from oak laminated MDF. I hate MDF also, only I have not been able to find a replacement product that would machine and finish as well as MDF. Got any ideas on a replacement for MDF?

ghostcreek
09-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Phillip, I think the sign guys may have some great input there. I am still trying to learn about foams and the all the rest. Maybe another thread about materials?

coach
09-10-2009, 08:28 PM
So I was in Jcksonville yesterday. Stopped by the supply house that wants the slat wall cut. I told the buyer I didn't think there was enough money for me to get involved.
He asked If I would do it for $35.00 each.
What do you think? Sounds good but what the heck do I know.

Gary Campbell
09-10-2009, 08:45 PM
David...

3" on center = 17 cuts @ 96" per cut = 1632 "

at 4-5 ips for the relief slot = 6+ minutes

at 3ips (my guess for large bit single pass) = 544 seconds = 9-10 min to cut

another 10 min to load and clean table = 2 per hour. Not counting piles of mdf dust that DC didnt catch. Doesnt count any other handling, or layup. Doesnt include bit cost or trash disposal.

Thats my take...
Gary

coach
09-10-2009, 09:04 PM
hmmmm. At 2 pcs an hour that is more than I am making most days these last 2 or 3 months.
They bring them to me laid up. I just need to find a bit and a price for it. I saw them on line but were 1 3/16" as opposed to the 1 3/8" required. Prices ranged from $25.00 to $400.00.
I sent a copy of the drawing to a distributor for Onsrud but haven't heard back.
Wouldn't be a bad fill in.
Thanks for your input Gary. I will use your info in my thinking this through.
David

jerry_stanek
09-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Remember there will be a tool change in there if you cut the 3/8 slot to reduce the amount of material that the slot cutter has to remove.

mitch_prest
10-14-2009, 04:44 PM
you may want to charge them for the bit up front and then credit it to them after a certain number of sheets have been done.. there is no profit in buying a bit like that only to do a couple of pieces and have the customer opt out.. this was normal practice when we bought extrusion molds.. pay for the mold first then get the money back when you hit so many feet...

just a thought

mitch

gabepari
10-15-2009, 12:12 PM
One of the shops that use to do stuff for us had a ganged up-plunge router system that was made specifically for slat-wall. With two operators, they could do about 120 sheets an hour.

Gabe

robtown
10-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Or order it laid up with your lamninate and slotted from spacewall here in atlanta and get paid for simply driving up and picking it up...