PDA

View Full Version : Machining along vector question

drodda
02-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Is there a way to get the machine to cut along a line and then drop then stepdown and cut back the oposite way? When it goes up and jogs to the other end this seems to take too much time? Can this be done with partswizard?

srwtlc
02-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Dave,

With PW, you could draw one line and toolpath it "Along Vector" multiple times, however, you will still have a Zup at each end (You could then manually edit the file to remove those). You would need to change the "Start Point" of the line each time you toolpath it and also set the depth of cut and the stepdown each time. For example, the first time would be 0.25 final depth and 0.25 stepdown. Then the next would be 0.5 and 0.5, then 0.75 and 0.75, etc. Changing the start point of the line each time. Then combine all toolpaths and post.

If you have VCP, you could do the same thing, but make it easier by using layers for each pass. You would still have the zups to deal with, but it won't go back to the beginning each time.

A third option (and much faster/efficient) would be if you happen to have a working copy/knowledge of VectorCam, but not many do anymore. I could make up a quick one for you if you would like.

Scott

drodda
02-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Scott,

Thanks for the reply. However what we are talking about is using a very large bit cutting a slot. I am using a spedown of .02 and the final depth is .6 inches deep so I would have to deal with 30 different moves per slot. I have 16 slots total so we are talking about 480 differnet Z moves to manually edit aout of the file. I do realize that I could manually write a cutting file. Just move from one end to the other then drop the Z .02 and move back to the other end. However I do this same type of cutting that are totally different so I am just looking for a quicker way to produce the file for cutting these slots. I am not sure why the Partwizard file does not allow you to just cut both directions rather than cutting in a single direction and then jogging to the start point and doing it all again only a little deeper.

I am pretty sure it could be done with an excell spreadsheet to output the cutting file, however I don't feel the user should have to learn excel just to do this simple task? If I can get Ecel to do it you would think thet either Vetric ot Artcam could do the same withing the programs we already have.

I appreciate your answer though.

srwtlc
02-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Dave,

That would be a pain! VectorXT does it in a snap!

You have mail.

ryan_slaback
02-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Dave, Can you just increase your jog speed way up? That would at least decrease the travel time to go back to the same location.

mziegler
02-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Dave, it might be possible to do what you want in Vcarve Pro. I not exactly sure what you try to do with the many step downs with a large bit. With a large bit you should be able cut the slot in one pass. Anyway by add a tab to the toolpath you should do what you want. The tab length is length of the slot minus diameter of the bit and should place at the exact center of the slot. Here a preview of the toolpath showing that it cut at .400 deep and then step down to .800 deep and then cut back to the machining starting point. Mark

pete
02-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Well, speaking of inconvenient and time wasting Part Wizard toolpaths, I have a question.

Is there any way to change the PW toolpath to have it cut a grid pattern, such as the X, Y grid for a vacuum plenum in one continuous toolpath? As it is now, the tool path does one line, does a z-up and goes to the beginning of the next line on the other side of the table and so forth. It would save lots of time if the machine could cut the whole grid with one continuous movement.
Thanks.

Brady Watson
02-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Yes there is...and I can tell how many of you have not watched either the retail or SB OEM version of the PartWizard video...In case you need one, you can order it from ShopBot or www.CNCVideos.com (http://www.CNCVideos.com) - I am planning several releases this year...there will be something for everyone, from beginner to seasoned user.

See attached grid setup in PW2 format for a 5X10 4-zone grid. I drew it up in a hotel room one night before cutting it at a customer's the next morning. It took about 15 min total from scratch, and most of that time was spent verifying that the dimensions were correct on all sides. There are 2 versions attached. One in PW2 format and one in EPS format. Don't ask me for other sizes...because I'll tell you that you should know how to scale/resize it in either PartWizard, PartWorks or VCP.

-B

5X10_PW2.zip (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/29/5X10_PW2-27898.zip) (4.0 k)

5X10_VacGrid.zip (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/29/5X10_VacGrid-27899.zip) (1.1 k)

gene
02-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Dave
Why dont you go into the bit library and set up a special bit file to set the depth of cut to .02 per pass then draw the slot file and the bit file will only let the bit cut at the .02 per pass . This seems so much simpler than all the other stuff

srwtlc
02-15-2008, 04:48 PM
It will still go back to the beginning of the line for each pass. I believe that this is what he is doing currently.

gene
02-15-2008, 04:51 PM
What about using forneys fluter . It cuts in both directions

drodda
02-16-2008, 11:52 PM
Brady,

some of us never received a video with our machines.

Gene,
I already set the stepdown to .02 for each pass but this does not make the machine cut in both directions. The problem is that this is cut on an arc and a straight line in the same file. Will the Fluter work with both arcs and straight lines? Where do you find the fluter program these days?

This seems like it should be a simple task, but from all the answers so far I think this might be harder than I thought?

Yes I know I could write the cutting file from scratch for this or edit the partwizard file, however I felt that the software should be able to handle this.