View Full Version : Cutting Carbon Kevlar hybrid

aquiloboats
06-22-2004, 11:24 PM
Does anyone have any experience cutting hybrid carbon/ kevlar? Bits, speeds, rpm?

The layup is 8 oz hybrid on the top and bottom of a 1/4" cedar core.

Brady Watson
06-23-2004, 12:10 AM
Roger,
I have cut CF with the bot once using a regular sharp straight bit with no problems.

If you are going to be cutting this out on a regular basis, I would look at Onsrud Cutter's website. http://www.onsrud.com/index.html

I know they make bits specifically for aramid composites.

-Brady

dingwall
06-23-2004, 11:07 AM
I've cut carbon fiber strips with a carbide diamond cut bit. After I told my supplier this he warned me about the carbon fiber dust getting into the router and shorting things out.

aquiloboats
06-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Interesting to read about the carbon dust shorting things out. I am hoping the standard dust collection system will sort that out?

Brady Watson
06-24-2004, 01:16 AM
Roger,
You can put an oiled pre-filter sock (like K&N used for dirt bikes) over your router's air intake to catch the carbon dust if you are cutting enough to justify doing so.

Carbon is a non-metal when looking at the periodic chart...but it conducts electricity unlike kevlar and fiberglass. It also has the added joy of steel-like super fine splinters that you will sense in your hands for several weeks (don't ask me how I know)...so be careful.

Oh...and PLEASE wear a respirator when cutting. If it gets into your lungs, it probably isn't coming out.

-Brady

dingwall
06-24-2004, 09:35 AM
Great idea Brady.

For dust collection we used a shopvac with a disposable bag. I don't want that stuff gradually finding it's through my dust collector filters and blowing back into the shop.

The last round we did, we took to a waterjet cutter. I'd have done that again if they hadn't of been booked up.

Easterntg
12-22-2014, 07:41 PM
Anyone tried a liquid bath for cutting the carbon fiber? This would eliminate the dust?