PDA

View Full Version : Variable speed drilling

Support (Admin)
03-31-1999, 04:41 PM
THREAD FROM ARCHIVE
================================================== ===
Variable Speed Drilling

Has anyone tried one of the electronic speed controls from Wood Craft? It's supposed to maintain power and will handle up to 3 horsepower. Ifigured a Jacobs chuck mounted in a second router on my second Z axis would be more versatile than just a drill motor.

Also, anyone tried the porter cable quick bit release system?

Dave: I've been using a speed control since day one and run at about 8000 RPM with a 1.5 Horse Porter Cable router. Rather than drill bits I purchased an additional 3/8 collet and a 1/8" adaptor and use end mills with standard shank sizes whenever I have to "drill". I don't work with wood, usually glass but lately I've been doing a fair amount of work with building an aluminum frame where I've been milling and drilling using the Shop bot. Works good for me.

I have been using the Woodcraft speed controller (on a 1.5 HP Porter Cable) for the past month or so. I had the problem of not being able to feed fast enough to get a good chip size in acrylic. I often got re-melt of the chips to the finished part edge. My best finishes came from Jog speeds rather than Move speeds. By slowing down the router, I am able to get a better finish without having to run the SB at full tilt speeds. This improved my accuracy a great deal also.