PDA

View Full Version : How much weight will it take

rhfurniture
12-01-2009, 12:05 PM
I am trying to think about a job on my much strengthened PRT benchtop that will involve machining a piece of solid hardwood that is around 4 ft3 - ie about 250lbs/110kg weight. Structurally I am happy to put it on the table (it uses size 3 BWC rollers), but as I now have just 1 stepper motor driving the carriage (7.2xgeared) I was wondering whether a second might be needed to reliably move it around. Does anyone have a "table" or formula for calculating how much weight a prt stepper (R&P 25tooth, 7.2gearing) can move?

Thanks, R.

rhfurniture
12-01-2009, 05:14 PM
OK, to maybe answer my own question:
From the Gecko website faq,

"Rule #1: If you need 100 Watts or less, use a step motor. If you need 200 Watts or more, you
must use a servo. In between, either will do.
So, how do you figure the power you need?
Method 1: You have a plasma table, wood router or some other low work-load mechanism. You
have a clear idea of how many IPM you want but you’re not sure of what force you want at that
speed.
Pick the weight of the heaviest item you are pushing around. If it weighs 40lbs, use 40lbs. multiply
it by the IPM you want. Say that's 1,000 IPM. Divide the result by the magic number "531". The
answer is 75.3 Watts so use a step motor."

If ipm=6*60=360 and total weight = 250+50 (carriage) = 300lbs, then the above formula gives 203 Watts. I had better use a second stepper motor. However, I think my steppers are only 1amp (will check tomorrow), and voltage about 50, (I have G4) which gives a wattage of 50 per motor, so maybe if I have 2 motors and go dead slow it may work.
Any further info, experience or other suggestions would be most welcome.

R.