View Full Version : Router Judder

ribbons@newformresearch.com
09-26-2004, 03:53 PM
I am experiencing router judder which causes the router and Y axis assebmly on my PRT96 to vibrate and produce a rough cutting edge.

What are the issues at play here?

I am using a Makita 2 1/2HP router and a 3/16" bit cutting 1/2" or masonite or hardboard.

Regards,
John M

elcruisr
09-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Several things could be happening. First is everything including your dust collection hose well grounded? Next if your circle tolerance is set too fine it can also cause this. Also ramping values may need to be addressed. Is the shudder happening while coming out of corners, on radius cuts or what? Also what is the movement speed, router RPM and tool type(as in solid carbide, carbide tipped, spiral, straight, single flute, double flute excetera)? Is the shudder visible or only printing out in the cut. These would help everybody understand more of what's going on.

Eric

paco
09-26-2004, 09:04 PM
Is it "juddering" only when cutting material or is it "juddering" when "air cutting" too? Or; is it caused by the router or from the machine or both? What are the checks you've maid since you notice problems? Also check for Eric suggestions...
Hey Eric! How did you survived the storm?!! Everythings OK now?

elcruisr
09-27-2004, 06:21 AM
So far, so good. We seem to be in a small pocket with very little damage. We still have power and phone service as well. The areas around us have taken it a little harder and most may not have power for days or weeks. They just lifted the curfew this morning so we'll be able to get out now. We plan to regroup today and check on family and employees and then hopefully get the shop going tomorrow.

We are praying for the people out on the coast as things are pretty bad there. This one came in three weeks and five miles apart from the last one with even higher winds. We'll be heading into Melbourne to see if my mothers house is OK soon.

Eric

ribbons@newformresearch.com
10-07-2004, 07:34 AM
The judder problem seems to be a function of poor bearings and misalignment. I have replaced several of the bearings underneath the rails and that cured it temporarily.

However, I'm having real trouble trouble keeping everything aligned as the X rails are warped. I will try and replace those as soon as possible.

This is a PR machine although I have replaced the Z axis with a PRT which is a huge improvement.

Has anyone replaced their X or Y rails on a PR?

Regards,
John Meyer