View Full Version : Fluffy edge on MDF?

wemme
10-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Gidday.
Does anyone have any easy methods or advice to reduce fluff on edges during cutting or sanding?

I have a small product which needs to be cut clean in a single pass, It has holding tabs which are then sanded off. currently the edges tend to fluff which is not pretty nor profitable due to the extra labour to clean them up. the material is 1/8" think and i use a twin straight flute 1/4" cutter at 20000-24000 RPM

Thanks.

dirk
10-10-2005, 09:52 PM
More than likely it is the MDF itself causing the problem. I had the same problem, and finally found a super refined grade of MDF. It is very heavy and dense, and dosen't give the "Fluff" you mentioned.
Dirk

wemme
10-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks Dirk
I'm not sure what grade the sheets are that I am using as they were purchased by a family member some time ago. I will do some more research into the matter.

gene_marshall
10-11-2005, 07:37 AM
try changing the direction of the cut.

Gene

paco
10-11-2005, 09:37 AM
...or look at the scrap; does it look any better?

davidp
10-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Wemme

This may sound strange but I had the same problem when cutting 3mm MDF. We cut around 100 sheets of 3mm MDF per month and the fuzzy edges were killing me. I varied the RPM, the feed speeds, the direction. I tried different bits, spiral up, spiral down, straight bits even different brands. I tried everything but still fuzzy edges. And then I borrowed a bit from a guy who cuts plastic,It was a 1/8" plastic cutting single flute spiral bit from Carbi-Tool in Melbourne, Australia. I had previously tried a similar bit from Onsrud but it is not a patch on the Carbi-tool bit.

My 2 bobs worth.

David

wemme
10-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Hello.
Gene, Paco.
Thanks for your comments i have had a look at the offcuts and weedings and they are just as bad so i don't think that is the issue.

David.
Thanks for the comments.
I have a linbide 3mm single flute which i will try on the next run and see how that goes. i have tended to avoid using single flutes as this normally means the feed rate has to be reduced.
What feed rate are you using mm/s for the above mention job if you don't mind me asking.
what is Carbi-Tools like in pricing?
Cheers

davidp
10-12-2005, 08:08 PM
Hi Wemme,

I will try to up load a photo I took yesterday of 3mm MDF with 2mm cuts using a Carbitool TSPL04S (on the left) and an Onsrud 65-010. Both cuts were made at the same speeds, ie 12,000 RPM @ 95mm / sec.

We do not have to touch the MDF cut with the carbitool cutter. We had previously been using a 3mm straight single flute cutter and that produced acceptable results but the new bit is truly amazing.

I can't remember the pricing. You can download a catalog at www.carbitool.com.au (http://www.carbitool.com.au) They accept all major credit cards and if asked will dispatch overnight express.

Good luck

David.

wemme
10-13-2005, 04:56 PM
That tool sure does a nice job.
I need to look at my feed rates they must be too slow.
Cheers