PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the Amana insert engraving and plastics bits?

bill.young
10-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Just got a email from ToolsToday with some insert bits that looked interesting. Anyone used these before?

http://www.toolstoday.com/p-6009-in-groove-cnc-insert-engraving-tool-body-replacement-knives.aspx

http://www.toolstoday.com/p-6101-in-plastic-cnc-insert-cut-quad-chamfer-system.aspx

navigator7
10-27-2009, 08:00 AM
As a former lathe operator, the Allen set screw is an appealing feature. I just can't wait to send an Allen wrench across the shop.
Brings back the warm dreamy days starting a 50 Hp lathe with the chuck key snoozing in the chuck.
;-)

jim_vv
10-27-2009, 11:38 AM
I too would like to know if anyone uses these. I do a lot of engraving and detailed V carving on hardwoods with Onsrud's 37-01 and 37-21 solid carbide engraving cutters. The Onsrud cutters cost $18.15 so they are definitely the cheaper way to go, but if Amana's statement about theirs "lasting twice as long as solid carbide" is true, then this may be a good way to go.

bob_s
10-27-2009, 01:14 PM
I have used the RCK-360 30degree .005 rounded end insert for the RC-1076 1/2 inch holder. It cut MDF and Hard Maple like butter. But I don't have more than a few cuts done - I have found that even the cheap bits will cut clean when they are brand new. The proof will come when it's looking at the second hundred feet. They are sharp and seem well made. The Amana sales people at the Vegas show said they cut very well in aluminum and brass-- IF they do they certainly should cut a lot of wood. The micro rounded end does seem to give a nice "look" to the bottom of the groove with less cleanup needed there from fuzzies.

joe
10-28-2009, 06:40 AM
Excellent lead Bill,

I too am interested. It would seem to me, since these inserts look thin, it would take several passes to gain any depth. And at an increased rpm.

Looking forward to hearing moore. I've never owned any Amana tools.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

jeffreymcgrew
01-28-2010, 11:42 AM
We've been pretty happy with them so far, but like Bob, we haven't done too much with them. They do produce a very clean line, however we've found the more pointed ones to be a touch fragile and have had a few break the tips on harder materials. I think that's just do to dialing in plunge speeds and such however.

All in all, we've been pretty happy with the Amana bits.

jim_vv
01-29-2010, 01:35 AM
I ordered a set of these (1/2" shank cutter holder and 30, 60, and 90 degree cutters) from Tools Plus back in November.

I did some testing of small V Carving and Engraving with the 30 and 60 degree tips on prefinished cherry and was not satisfied with the results.

I get much crisper edges from the Onsrud 37-01 and 37-21 cutters.

I spoke to Amana's tech support (very nice) and confirmed that I was using the right feeds and speeds (per the chart on their site), but did not come up with a solution.

Tools Plus was kind enough to let me send all of the Amana stuff back and refunded the entire amount. I am only out the cost of the return shipping.

I am sticking with the Onsrud cutters here.

frank134
01-29-2010, 05:29 PM
I got the 1/2" shank and got the 30,60,and 90. They work in cherry,pine and poplar. I broke all three in oak. I use very light cut. .065 .125 can't remmber the speed but I think I went in slow. the cherry cut real nice clean .125 cut. Hope this help alittle.

44henry
02-07-2010, 06:16 PM
I've been using the 30 degree and 60 degree 1/8" shank engaving cutters from www.precisebits.com (http://www.precisebits.com) and have been very happy with them. They run about $8-9 a bit so they are a lot cheaper. I understand the alure of insert tooling; however, it seems like those inserts should be running around $4-5. Also, unlike other insert tooling I've used those ones only come with one cutting edge.

r_jones
06-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Has anyone had a chance to use these in acrylic? Cast or extruded?