PDA

View Full Version : Cutting cabinets with a 1/4 or 5mm bit

loriny
02-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Is it possible to cut cabinet parts with bits as small as 1/4 or 5mm? or would heat be an issue? 2 reasons for this. 1: 3.25 hp milwaukee router (less load) 2:don't yet know how much vacuum I will be getting out of my open center vac system. Also if possible to use 5mm I could use same bit for system and hinge holes.

loriny
02-07-2009, 10:09 AM
oops. I see it in the chart. Shows I can use 5mm 2 flute straight bit. Is anyone using Freud? They are easier for me to access and I have had really good luck with their products for blades and hand routing.

jerry_stanek
02-07-2009, 10:33 AM
I have had some bad luck with Freud bits on my machine. I now Onsrud bits along with Whiteside. I want to try Centurion bits.

jhicks
02-07-2009, 10:37 AM
I use a 5mm bit all the time for cutting 3/4" prefinished maple, melamine etc. You are correct it allows you to cut, drill, dado, bore and run the entire sheet with no bit changes.
Generally bits last about 15 to 20 sheets. I run the cut out in 3 passes to a finished depth of.770" (Max cut depth on the bit is .780" and run the dados with a step over of between .093 and.125" single pass .25 deep.
I like a speed of 160"/min on my PRT but others may run faster and a plunge speed for drilling at 30 to 35 IPM with no peck drilling. All slide and shelf pin holes are .625 deep single plunge.
Over time I have collected quite a bit of data on average run times and for me at this speed an average sheet of parts takes 40 minutes run time.
Definately need a vac hold down to do this well and efficiently.
You're on the right track.

loriny
02-07-2009, 10:49 AM
I am curious why you use dadoes. It might make setup simpler? Currently I use pocket hole joinery where ever I can and biscuits where needed. Any advice is greatly appreciated

wberminio
02-07-2009, 04:06 PM
I use Centurion 1/4" mortise compression router bits.I cut prefinished maple ply,hardwood plywood,
Trupan....they are great bits.
Not one broken bit in one year. 30+sheets per bit and I save them for any rough ply.
I usually cut at 3"/sec and 10,500rpm with a 4hp spindle on my PRS standard.

I also cut dados,mainly because I use KCDw and the program is easily setup to make these cuts.
The blind dado also simplifies assembly of the cabinets and makes extremely strong joints.

Erminio

wberminio
02-07-2009, 04:21 PM
I also wanted to add-

I cut in 2 passes
And have an Air Drill for my 5mm drilling
Erminio

loriny
02-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Is this with a multi pass cut? Are you actually dadoing the casework or using rabbets?
For starters I will be using the 3.25 milwaukee until I get the hang of it and then hopefully 4hp HSD. I have only been doing cabinetry for about 1 1/2 years and have found a way that worked using the saw, but it is difficult getting everything clamped and held square for pocket holes(even then it will slip sometimes when the screw tightens) I sure do appreciate the help. I hope to have a system figured out so I can start learning it as soon as I get my Bot
Lorin

wberminio
02-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Lorin

What software are you using?
Have you tried Ryan Patterson's Cabinet Parts Pro?
It's a great program especially for the price.
I believe it includes pocket holes and even nesting
now.
This could simplify your cabinet building greatly.

Erminio

loriny
02-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Have been using ECABS and have been emailing with Ryan about cabinetpartspro.
I can't believe the support here that I have already got and from snooping around the forum. I am sure I won't regret going with the Bot not only for price but especially for help for a newbie like me.
Lorin

wberminio
02-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Lorin

This is just the beginning of the help you'll receive.

I wouldn't have made it w/o the help from all here.

Erminio

joenagel
02-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Hey Lorin,

I have a copy of Cabinet parts pro I'll throw in with the bot if Ryan will allow us to transfer the license to you.

Joe

beacon14
02-07-2009, 10:22 PM
I use a 1/4" compression cutter (single flute made by Whiteside) for all my melamine sheets, and a 2-flute compression bit from Centurion for veneered MDF and plywoods. I also use a dedicated air drill for the 5mm holes, eventually you will want to move in that direction as it will increase your bit life dramatically and allow you to use the 1/4" bit for all the other milling.

andre
02-26-2009, 08:38 AM
Back to Jerry
DO NOT USE FREUD BITS IN YOUR CNC.
They will over heat and start a fire. I almost burned my shop down using one, thank god for fire extinguishers

loriny
02-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Question for Jerry H:
What kind 5mm bit (straight or compression) are you using and where from? They seem hard to come by even in metric Canada.
thanks for the advice on the Freuds everyone. They are my easiest bit to buy, but obviously not the best choice.

wberminio
02-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Lorin
Use Centurion's compression bits if you need a clean top and bottom.
Use Mortise Compression Router bits if you are mortising also.
They really are that good!
If you're still unsure give them a call or email.
They have excellent customer service.

http://www.centuriontools.com/

I'm sure they ship to Canada

Note:Uncompensated endorsement

Erminio

robredick
03-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Onsrud (Super O)64-025 is the bit for me.

on sale here http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=147279&FamilyID=5899

jhicks
03-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Lorin, I use either Onsrud or Leitz straight 2 flute bits. Prior to trying them I historically used compression bits but when I tried them and realized they were $20.00 vs $80.00+ and I had no tool changes, I never looked back.
I get about 18 to 20 sheets per bit so $1.00/ sheet is a simple cost to absorb and I can run all tool paths in one file for the entire sheet.

jon
03-13-2009, 07:12 PM
I've found that breaking bits usually has a corelation to the sheet or part vibrating. Have a listen, if it is really whining it might be that your method of clamping is insufficient. I regularly use a wide variety of bits in many different materials, and haven't noticed Freuds to be any more likely to break. They are conveniently located at Home Despot, but you get better performance from the pro bits you order like Onsrud's spirals and compressions etc.

jeffreymcgrew
03-14-2009, 12:37 PM
We just finished making a batch of cabinets using nothing but 1/4" solid carbide compression spirals from Amanda tool. We took two passes, each 3/8" deep, at 3 IPS and it works pretty well on our PRT 4G.

The Amanda compression bits aren't too expensive and worked well to keep the chipping to a minimum on the melamine.

loriny
04-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Received my centurion order last week. Finally got to cutting a maple plywood computer center. 5MM compression bit. This does a beautiful job. Thanks for the advice and thanks to Fred at Centurion for the help.
Lorin