PDA

View Full Version : Digitizing Probe which bit to use?

connie
06-29-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm going to digitize a part not very complicated and if I want to use a 1/4" bit to cut the file should I use a 1/4" digitizer probe or should I use 1/8" for more detail or more points in the file. I remember in class they said to use the same probe size as bit you planned to cut with. Anyone have any tips or words of wisdom???
thanks

Brady Watson
06-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Connie,
If you are going to go right from the scan to an SBP & cut, then use the same size stylus. If you scan with a 1/8", you'll get better detail, but have to carve with a 1/8" bit.

You also have the option to use an 1/8" stylus and save the part as an SBP...THEN use the Probe surface translator tool in SB3 (under tools) to convert the SBP to a 3D DXF. You can then pull that 3D DXF into MillWizard and toolpath with ANY bit you choose. Just remember that the smaller the bit, the smaller the stepover needs to be when probing (if using 1/8" shoot for .03-.04 SO while probing) and the smaller the bit, the longer it takes to scan. Set it up and let it do it's thing. The nice thing about saving it as a DXF is that you can preview the file in MillWizard before you cut anything.

NEVER EVER EVER use the Zzero plate with the probe thinking that you can Zzero the probe with it...you have to ZZ when the probe is a little higher than the highest point of the part. If you decide to use the plate with the probe, you will break the probe & have to send it back to be repaired. After you hook up the probe, check the wiring to make sure it is working properly. Input #1 should be lit up on the red DRO in SB3 without touching it. Then tap it with your finger to move the stylus. Input #1 should go out. You should see it blink when you move the stylus. If this doesn't happen, you need to check your wiring.

-B