PDA

View Full Version : Home-made vacuum pods

densull@core.com
01-16-2003, 07:18 PM
At last! I've just uploaded a new version of our website with a page describing the "home-made" vacuum pods that we've been working on. Take a look if you are interested in what we have made for our own use. Follow the link...

I hope you find this information helpful!

There's an informative message thread on this subject on the woodweb.com CNC forum that led to me putting up this page. I thought some ShopBotters could use the information, too.

Dennis S.
skalarcnc digitizing systems

link: http://skalarcnc.netfirms.com/pods.html

toys
01-16-2003, 07:49 PM
Dennis,

Why the screw in the center? Wouldn't it be easier to make a vacuum seal on the other side of the puck and have it seal to the table? Set ups would be a lot quiker.

rgbrown@itexas.net
01-16-2003, 11:57 PM
Dennis,

Thanks for posting your work. What sort of vacuum are you able to pull?

It appears David is already trying to improve on your "system" I might have put the screws on tabs on the outside to avoid 'piercing the vacuum'. But, this is America and there are no laws against us doing this.

Ron

densull@core.com
01-17-2003, 09:41 AM
Thanks for your replies!

The center screws are to fasten the pod to our MDF spoilboard. If you use something like a melamine board, you could cut seal grooves in the back of the pod and let it hold down with the vacuum. You could also screw and glue two pods back to back for a higher working height.

I think we would lose some vacuum holding power if we tried holding the pods down to the MDF with vacuum. MDF is so porous that some systems pull a vacuum right through it to hold parts in place.

There is no significant vacuum loss through the screw hole, since the screw head seals against the pod.

I haven't checked the vacuum at the pods, but our little pump pulls to 25 inches. We'll see later how it's doing with the full system connected.

valensign
01-17-2003, 03:58 PM
How does that work for keeping Items level do your boards flex any between the pods. I like the idea but Would it work with 2'x4' material for doing signs. It seems to me there might be a little too much flex in the board if yoiou tried to put larger Items on them. I was just wonder if you have done that

densull@core.com
01-17-2003, 10:58 PM
I think the answer would be to use a sufficient number of pods to support the workpiece. We'll be cutting a part that uses most of a 4 x 8 sheet, so we'll find out. We're setting up to use as many as ten pods, and can always add more ports.