PDA

View Full Version : 5th axis Shopbot

bruce_clark
07-12-2002, 01:33 AM
Ted (and Shopbot):

Tell me (us) more information about the 5 Axis Shopbot. When will it be available and how much is this "accessory"?

I can't wait for a 5 axis Shopbot!

Bruce Clark

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools
07-12-2002, 11:04 AM
Hi Bruce,

The new software has 5 axis capabilities (simultaneous 5 axis interpolation). The current PRT control boxes have a '5 axis (channel) bus' that can handle all 5 axes, but they only have 5 drivers. By stacking two control boards, you can have 5 axes (channels) with up to 10 drivers. Thus, this part of 5 axes is done ... with the release of the software in a month or so.

For us, the real question is the 'mechanicals' for 5 axes. We invision a Z unit carrying the additional 2 axes that can be fit to any of our basic tools (note: to be usefull this needs to be a tool with higher gantry clearance than the 6" standard size). As usual, we are working towards something that is affordable. Have a look at the prototype (mounted on a bench top, but could be on any tool) that is in the Jamboree pictures and you'll get the idea. We're working on improving the stiffness ... It's always easy to estimate the minimum time for a development project -- the time it takes if everything goes perfectly. But it's hard to realistically estimate how long things will take, given all the unexpected little setbacks. The minimum on this one is about 3 months ... reality is ?? That's about all I know at the moment.

The ultimate 5-axis challenge is software that -affordably- generates 5 axis tool paths ... we have a number of initiatives going on this, but are happy for ideas from ShopBotters.

bruce_clark
07-13-2002, 03:13 AM
Ted,

Yes, I saw the jamboree pictures and was really impressed with the simplicity and cleverness. It looks like you are using two gearbox steppers to swing the body and another to rotate. I can see why you needed almost 5 more drivers. Still, a very simple and effective design.

Is the router very solid/rigid--I understand that the router "moves" but does it still leave in a smooth cut surface? To increase the stiffness, are you thinking of redoing the Y axis gantry or maybe a new design with a moving table/fixed gantry design? Basically, a larger version of the Table top machine.

Yes, 5 axis software is expensive. From what I here, even most of the stuff out there is not "up to snuff" when compared to the 2.5D or 3D stuff. I am told that the algorithms to figure 5 axis tool paths is VERY complex. Now, if you are doing basic "trim out" work, but need adjusted trim angles, then this is fairly easy to program but true 3D work with a 5 axis machine...I think the complexity goes up exponentially with each additional axis.

Oh, I take it that the "...but are happy for ideas from ShopBotters." is an invitation for some semiskilled parttime computer programmer type people to break out the PowerWin compiler and get typing... :^)

Bruce Clark

valensign
04-24-2003, 01:05 AM
Just Checking on how the 5 Axis Shopbot conversion is going... Has anyone seen or Heard anything about it.. I wish I could make it to the Jamboree to see whats going on but it just not in my schedule unfourtunatly..

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools
04-27-2003, 04:06 PM
Hi William,

I'm afraid the 5 axis has been on the back burner til we finish up the new software. Control issues are all dealt with in new ShopBot 3 software, but our physical 5 axis prototype still needs more work to be appropriately stiff in all axes.

I expect we will get back to work on it shortly.

valensign
04-27-2003, 05:17 PM
Ted Ill wait till your Jamboree is over But I would like to talk to you about your 5 axis design I have a new design for the 5 axis that you might be intrested in. Its still on paper but I have been slowly working on it.. And If posible It would be a 6 axis if you count the indexer.. i just dont know if the controller could handle it and software is a nightmare even if you could find anything I was looking some inverse kinematics programs (Robotic)but Im at a loss on that..(Ideas are bigger then my brain)