View Full Version : ZipLok Disposable Container Dust Collector

04-09-2001, 12:24 AM
Here's my adaptation for a dust collector.
It uses a Rubbermaid Servin'Saver Rectangular food container.

I connected it to the shop vac using PVC fittings and these were connected to the router table (on the Y axis) using slotted steel and pipe clamps.

Here's the picture:

Mayo Pardo
04-09-2001, 12:31 AM
make that www.difsupply.com/dustvac.jpg

For some reason this bulletin board doesn't accept both \ in the URL

04-09-2001, 09:19 AM
Great minds must think alike. That looks almost exactly like my first version of my dust collector. I found that keeping the container parallel to the table after adjusting for the thickness of different materials a problem. I also ended up needing to plunge deeper than the container allowed, so I have settled (so far) for a pvc elbow and an extension that is sliced in half long ways. You'll also find that having bristles of some type along the bottom edge will help when you start cutting deeper slots because the router will shoot the dust out from the channel it has just made.

The nice thing about the plastic container is that it does a good job of muffling the noise generated from the spinning collet.

04-09-2001, 09:55 AM
I have no problem keeping the container parallel to the surface because I have not glued the pvc fittings. I am able to swivel the entire thing in two directions.

The height is adjustable (although not super quick) by loosening the pipe clamps which hold the hard shop vac extension, and raising or lowering it as needed. Some quick release clamps would be nice if I can find some which would clamp the tube.

The height of this container is only about 2.25" so it doesn't interfere with the plunge depth. The hole that the router bit goes through is just large enough for the collet to fit through also. In addition, it's about 7" long so the PVC elbow connection to it is placed out of the way of the router base.

09-30-2001, 07:55 AM
I didnt like the brush recommended by shopbot on the dust extractor, as it was too stiff so I replaced it with a layer of 1\4 inch sponge and also used someone elses idea of a wooden channel from the plastic pipe to the router bit. This gives 100 per cent dust extraction even at the edges of a board. The dust extractor is also closer to the material surface. The air from the router was also blowing dust everywhere so this was blocked off with 3 inch flexy pipe with a 3 inch disc glued to the top, and the bottom of the pipe glued to the top of the dust extractor unit. Elastic bands connected to this pipe and then round the topof the router mean this pipe rises and falls as the router goes up and down.
If anyone is interested I will try to scan in a diagram