PDA

View Full Version : Converting Unwrapped 3D Model in ArtCAM to ShopBot Indexer Cutting Files

jdervin
08-07-2008, 12:25 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to cut 3D models created in ArtCAM Pro (version 9) on my ShopBot indexer. My goal is to keep the cutting surface perpendicular to the bit as much as possible. As a learning project, I'm using the knife handle I made in one of the ArtCAM Pro tutorials.

I found this post detailing how to unwrap the original and then create a ring on the ArtCAM forum...

http://forum.artcam.com/viewtopic.php?t=244&highlight=unwrapped

Everything worked great until I tried to save my toolpath. I used the "ShopBot X-parallel Indexer (inch)(.sbp)" post and I get the following error code, "Wrapped axis for toolpath (X) does not match axis wrapped in post processor (Y)". I tried several variations of recreating my steps (wrapping around Y, rotating the unwrapped import, etc.) -- all to no avail. I also tried the Y-parallel post and got the same result. I then searched the ShopBot forum and found two alternate *.con files in Randy Nelson's post on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 2:27 pm in the following thread...

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/312/31172.html

I downloaded the files and got them working in ArtCAM. While they create cutting files without any error codes, when I look at them with the ShopBot Editor, they clearly wouldn't work. The X-axis never travels beyond an inch for a file that is 5.4789" long and the Z-axis looks suspicious as well.

Congratulations in having read this far. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? And any how-to's as well written as the step-by-step instructions of Brian M in the ArtCAM forum?

rnels
08-08-2008, 03:05 PM
John,

Step 6 tells you to create the ring. Try it without making a ring just leave the relief flat. Then do your z level rough and finish toolpaths and save as the indexer post processor. See if that gets you any better results.

I do not believe the Shopbot editor will display the 3D representation of the indexer file yet. You need to look at the .sbp file and determine if the M5 commands look feasible. M5,X,Y,Z,A,B. If your indexer runs with the X axis the Y value should always be default zero. The Y value swaps with the B value and should be converted to degrees of rotation.