PDA

View Full Version : Table/Vac System Construction

Gary Campbell
04-16-2007, 10:23 PM
First let me say how imressed I am with level of knowledgeable help that is so freely given on this forum. I have a PRSalpha 9660 on order. 30% of my decision to go with ShopBot are the people, even tho unseen, that are here on this forum. Thanks to all. I am trying to use the time waiting for it researching the construction of the table and Vac hold down system. My current thoughts are a combination of a gasketed 4 or 6 zone system with vac motors mounted directly under the table. Grainger has some reasonable units with vac & cfm #'s equal to the Fein specs. The table design I was looking at was a waffle grid design shown in a post in this forum a few months back and I would like to incorporate a T slot system between the zones. I would like to know if there is a gallery of photos showing other tables or a site with info that I might have missed as I am a newbie to ShopBot, but have over 30 yrs in the woodworking field. Our Company does high end custom millwork here in the Florida Keys and we are looking to raise our level of service and quality up to a higher level with the new "Bot". I am also concerned about the high humidity levels here in the Keys and the use of MDF products. I had a partial sheet left over from a speaker enclosure that molded right in the rack and was almost ready to dissintegrate after only a few months in this climate. There is a Piedmont Plastics Store a couple hours from here and I have time... what is the best material for the Bed/table? I also have access to stone products. I would appeciate input from one and all on any of my questions, and would like to Thank you in advance for your time and trouble.

Gary

andre
04-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Gary
I just set up my new prs alpha with two feins, Wow! I build custom cabinets and when I put my first sheet on yhe table, it stuck like glue.
I could not justify the cost of the large regen blowers. The two feins are self cooled motors and dont over heat like all other shop vac styles and hold like you cant believe. You will want to use ultra lite mdf for your bleeder or trupan if you can find it in your area. I use the four zone plenum supplied from shopbot and it works great so far. I built the plumbing work my self for about $120 at my local home center. You will want to seal your plenum made from mdf and surface both sides of your bleeder to flatten asd remove the skin. There is so much info on this forum regarding vac hold down you should be able to come up with a solution that works for your shop. Let me know if I can help

Gary Campbell
04-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Andre..
Thank for the reply.. It seems hard to get away from the Feins.. I just ordered 4 of them from Grainger in the 240 volt version. It looks like I am going to use Paperstone 1" for my table board, its pretty pricey, but will stay warp free in this climate and now am looking for suggestions on a plastic material..PVC/PVC foam board that I can use for the plenum board. I did check with DixiePly in MIA and they carry Trupan UL .

andre
04-20-2007, 08:51 AM
paper stone, umm interesting.
I have never drilled holes in that but that sounds like a solid solution. I'm not sure about pvc for a plenum, not much sticks to it. I used plain old mdf $20 and sealed the channels and it works great.
Let me know how the paper stone works for your base.

Gary Campbell
04-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Andre,
Paperstone is a "Granite" countertop replacement that has Corian like tooling and created from epoxies and recycled paper. (like 1 1/2" thick formica.) It comes in 5x8, 5x9 and 5x10 sheets 1, 1.25 & 1.5" thickness. We have had pieces baking outside in the sun and rain here in the Keys for about 6 months with no ill effects. I took a vow long ago not to bring any "particleboard" products out here to the Keys, and it looks like it will only be for a spoilboard. LOL

andre
04-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Right
I have seen it and priced it out in the past and know what it is, I have not worked with it yet though but I understand it machines well with carbide bits. I thought it to be an interesting choice for a base. I can see if you are in florida why the concern for mdf or particle board.