PDA

View Full Version : Modified Milwaukee Router from JessEm

tmerrill
08-22-2006, 08:34 PM
While going through the vendor list for IWF 2006, I found the following. May be of interest for people wanting to switch to the Milwaukee router.

Link: http://www.iwf2006.com/AwardsPrograms/NewProductShowcaseDetail.asp?CompanyID=8053

"JessEm Tool teams up with Milwaukee Electric Tool to take the table mounted router to the next level. This industry first router configuration consists of a powerful Milwaukee 3.5 Max HP EVS motor with power and variable speed controls moved down the cord to a remote control box. Designed to be used in a router table with a JessEm Mast-R-Lift or Mast-R-Lift Excel, the motor is direct wired to the remote control box and configured with premium tachometer based electronic feedback circuitry to maintain optimal speed and power under load. The remote control box can be mounted in a convenient position for easy access to variable speed and on/off controls. This is the ultimate power source for router table applications in a small shop production environment."

I couldn't find any information on JessEm's website for either the modified router or availability. I plan on visiting their Booth on Saturday.

I changed to the Milwaukee router earlier this year and have no regrets.

Tim

drodda
08-22-2006, 09:02 PM
Tim,

We are anxiously waiting your report back from the show? Please let us know how to obtain one of these routers?

Great find,

Dave

paco
08-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Fit (collet shank) for ER!
Fit (collet shank) for ER!!!!!!

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brady Watson
08-23-2006, 09:20 AM
It's too bad in this day & age that they didn't use a digital readout instead of an old school dial...Nice to see an improved alternative to the PC.

-B

gerald_d
08-23-2006, 01:29 PM
There was a (brief) period when digital wristwatches and clocks were the in thing, but dials made a welcome comeback. Anyway, a digital display on an analog, open-loop controller will probably give a very false sense of accuracy....

jseiler
08-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Gerald, it may not be open loop. Its got a tach.

John

gerald_d
08-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Oops, I didn't read the whole blurb, but that "premium tachometer based electronic feedback circuitry" does not necessarily mean that it has a tacho. It might mean that some of its circuitry comes from a tacho diagram - these marketing guys have a weird way with words.

patricktoomey
08-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Marketing guys are also the reason we have 3.5HP routers that magically run on 12 Amps at 110V which I'm pretty sure isn't possible.

dingwall
08-23-2006, 05:30 PM
I believe there is a tach built into the Milwaukee. On their parts diagram it looks like a disc and a sensor mounted above the top bearing.

paco
08-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Xactly Sheldon,

with this new toy, it's just the dial that is remote (or bypassed ?) with a nice "safe" power switch. Maybe it's a better one than the one that is on the router from factory... not that the factory one have any kinda of problem though (both speed dial and power switch). I think this new toy is nice, as long as it is not getting the price to high...
Something tell me (actually the picture) that the router is re-wired with this setting.

tmerrill
08-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Update from my IWF visit.

I stopped by the JessEm booth and looked at the modified router. It was very well built. According to the JessEm rep, it is simply the Milwaukee 5625 with the electronics removed from the router body and placed in the metal (aluminum?) switch housing. The power cord from switch box to router can be unplugged, which would help installation.
As for availability, the rep said the company had received the first shipment from Milwaukee, but they would have to make it into their distribution chain. If anyone is interested, I recommend calling JessEm's Customer Service at 1-866-272-7492 for details.

Now for the bad news, it's priced at $499.

I would suggest that ShopBot contact Milwaukee and see if they could obtain and market the modified router. It looks very professional and could become their router based system.
I brought a brochure to the ShopBot booth, but the ShopBot reps were very busy with customers (which is good!). Couldn't wait around long enough to get their attention.

Hope this helps anyone who is interested.

Tim