PDA

View Full Version : Indexer Question

jim_vv
10-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Greetings. I purchased an indexer with my PRS 9648 Alpha. I have just now become comforatable with my machine and would like to try the indexer. I would appreciate some input from others on how and where to mount the indexer. I have my machine setup with a vaccum plenum which I would rather not cut in to too much. Thanks in advance.

rnels
10-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Jim,

There are many ways to set it up. Here is a link to how I did it. I just added a 4X8 sheet of plywood with 2 T tracks. Afterthought, I would have moved the T tracks closer to one side or another instead of the middle. I added .25 steel plates to raise the Y and Z carriage up and added the 12 inch Z from SHOPBOT. I'm not sure how much clearance the PRS has? I can index 6 inch blanks with this setup.

http://www.nelsonsdesignssp.com/Nelsons%20Designs%20shop.htm

Randy

scottcox
10-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Hi Jim. Congrats on the bot!

I built my own steel table with a deep trough for the PRT indexer, but others have mounted it to their table or side rails. You can choose to use it along your x OR y axes.

I encourage you to search the forum thoroughly for indexer related ideas. Thar's gold in thar!

Also in it's infancy is the Shopbot wiki.

myxpykalix
10-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Jim,
My table was made locally with a LOT of help in plans from Scott Cox, and is basically a copy of his. I'm not sure of the clearance with a prs but like Randy says i'd put your rails closer to the side and possibly mount it directly to the rails (flush with the plywood) to give yourself an additional 1" of space under gantry. You could just mount it in the Y axis temporarily to you learn how to use it (i'm still learning).

jim_vv
10-06-2007, 12:10 AM
To All,

Thank you. Great info!

JIM

pfulghum
10-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Randy,

What is the distance between gantry and table?
Did you have to buy a special "Z" from SB?

-- pat

rnels
10-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Pat,

The distance is 12.5 inches from the bottom of the gantry to the plywood. I added an 8 inch extention of .25 steel plate. And I did purchase the 12 inch Z from ShopBot.

I also needed to do a little modification of the stock spring setup as in my case the spring did not have enough pull when using the indexer.

For what I do the gantry is stiff enough so far. However, it could be beefed up with some corner angles or welds.

I added a couple of more pictures on my web site for some added clarity.

http://www.nelsonsdesignssp.com/Nelsons%20Designs%20shop.htm

Randy