View Full Version : Alternate materials for bristles on dust skirt

mikea@mts.net
08-13-2003, 02:11 PM
Hello

Has anyone tried using alternate materials for the dust skirt. I am trying to make a dust skirt which travels up and down with the router. I have made the metal frame from 1/2 flat iron bent to a 5" x 10" rectangle and attached to the router. The 2.5" inch suction hose is attached to the top of it. I want to make the skirting part detachable from the metal frame to allow good viewing of the bit when setting up, easy tool changes and whatever. Also we use bits from short engravers to long 1/2 straight bits so I want a skirting which is adaptable for these lengths. I can't seem to find any long soft bristles on anything which would work so I was toying around the idea of using foam or something like that. Or perhaps a skirt which can slide up and down might work. I have constructed several varieties of skirts but they all seem to have drawbacks-usualy in that they are not easily adaptable for different heights or accesibility. Any ideas would help and be much appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Mayo
08-13-2003, 11:54 PM
I use vinyl cove molding like you would see where the wall meets the floor in some commercial stores or kitchens or basements. It comes about 4" x so many feet. I wrapped it around my homemade MDF dust pick up frame which I have topped with clear acrylic. I placed slits in the cove molding about every inch, so that it could deform when it needs to. I cut the 4" down to about an inch and a half because I didn't need the extra height. It works.

mikea@mts.net
08-14-2003, 10:54 PM
Thanks Maylo

I was working at the school today and spotted a big chunk of foam rubber from an old couch. I cut it into 1/2 inch thick strips using the bandsaw and a fence (stuff cuts like butter-i tought it might grab the blade and deform but not so) and glued it on to the pickup. Cut some strips in it like you said and it worked like a charm. I have wracked my brainfor two years looking for a solution and it was roight in front of my face. I will try your molding as we have some at school. It sounds like a good idea. Thanks again

Mike

vcabinet
03-22-2004, 09:40 PM
Does anybody have any ideas on a dust skirt for a columbo and a porter cable in tandem. Any pictures would be most helpfull.

Brady Watson
03-23-2004, 08:26 PM
That's a tricky one, gary. I have a Colombo and another tool & there is no real way to mount the SB colombo collector in that space. I was thinking of making something that went in between the colombo and the Y-car strut.

-Brady

weslambe
03-26-2004, 08:36 AM
I use a Dilbert mouse pad.

stickman
03-26-2004, 10:31 AM
I found a material in a hobby and craft store, now don't laugh, called fun foam. It comes in 9 x 12 sheets and 1/8 thickness or more. I've been using it for my dust skirt, I do however need to build or get one of those fancy blower deflectors for my PC router. It seems to work pretty well.

jamesgilliam
03-27-2004, 06:52 PM
I have been using a rubber door sweep for the bottom of the skirt, and just make cuts in it about 1/4" apart. Not as pretty as the bristle sweeps, but have not had to replace mine in over two years.

vcabinet
03-28-2004, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I am ordering my bot this week, just want to be ready. Having the columbo and makita in tandem seams to a little problem. Any other photos would help since I don't have my machine yet.
Thanks gary